Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5561626364656667 LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    There is a new function in the p transform colors and palettes menu.

If you define a palette of fewer than 255 colors, option l (L) will make a palette based on that by repeating the colors until the whole palette of 255 colors is defined.

This is so it is possible to do the effect of cycling through palette indexes and getting a smooth flowing animation with only a few different colors.

https://laserboy.org/code/LaserBoy_Current.zip
    Palette cycling? Seriously? That is soooo DOS era- kind of like the chaser lights on Price Is Right back in the day.
    Last edited by dchammonds; 09-08-2022 at 18:46.

Some things never go out of style.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Critical update! 09-09-2022

Fixed a crash condition in the palettes menu.

It wasn't handling empty palettes well.

Oops.

Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Vector Hack Festival 2022 is coming soon!

https://vectorhackfestival.com/2022/

I can't believe it's been two years already since the last one.

VHF came out of a Facebook group called Vector Synthesis, which is all about creating visual art using control voltage signals for oscilloscopes, vector scopes, modified CRTs and yes... laser projectors!

The focus of the group is more about the art and technology of creating control voltage signals. It gets to laser projection from there.

It's really not about using commercial laser display systems.

There are some very talented people on this forum who might find this group to be very interesting and inviting.

Being a part of this group has been the most rewarding social media experience I've ever had in all the 19 years I've been doing this.

I was accepted to be one of the presenters again for this year's event!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i don't know of any standalone ilda vector->color hdmi solutions. you can do that with the radiator and the ilda import cable. unfortunately, that doesn't really help you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Congrats on adding another feather to your hat, James. Been searching for an ILDA vector -> color HDMI solution to make a preview/touchscreen device.
    Please let me know if you see any plug & pray convertors.
    Enjoy immersing yourself within the Vector Synthesis community.
    😎
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Congrats on adding another feather to your hat, James. Been searching for an ILDA vector -> color HDMI solution to make a preview/touchscreen device.
    Please let me know if you see any plug & pray convertors.
    Enjoy immersing yourself within the Vector Synthesis community.
    😎
    Thanks!

I'm not at all well versed in other laser display software. I don't know of any real-time streaming ilda to video solutions. But, like I said before, you can use my software to make video from anything you can import. It can also display wav files on the screen and show them in the same time it takes to play them. They don't have to be made with my software, but that is a way to make sure they are framed correctly. Otherwise you just specify how many samples are shown in each frame.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

No. That's not how it works at all. There really isn't anything real-time about LB. It just reads and writes files. No live streams in or out. But it can do all kinds of things with files. It can show vector art files as timed animation on the screen. It bridges the gaps between ild, dxf, txt, wav such that they can almost be thought of as just different forms of the same thing; vector data. Bitmap files are the translation to raster.

And wav files are multichannel, so a single wav file has all the control signals together as x, y, r, g, b, i, and possibly L & R audio. The 6th channel (i) can be a monochrome color mod signal or z or time code.

Last edited by james; 09-22-2022 at 12:09.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Not all wav players can play more than stereo, but some can into multitrack studio sound devices and surround sound devices.

The success of my app used to make wav files for direct display depends on that entirely!

Last edited by james; 09-22-2022 at 12:36.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Look what I can do!
    I still have a lot of work to do, but I figured out how to read and render all of the extended ascii Latin characters and other stuff from a UTF-8 encoded ascii text file!
    Now I have to add all of the new glyphs to all of the fonts that are included with LaserBoy!

Code:
    #----------------------------------------------------
    text line_space   1.00
    text vari_space   0.70
    text vari_gap     0.10
    text to_space     0.90
    text font_name    arial
    text color_rgb    255 255 0
    text variable left

!"#$%&'()*+,-./
    0123456789:;<=>?@
    ABCDEFGHIJKLM
    NOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    [\]^_`
    abcdefghijklm
    nopqrstuvwxyz
    {|}~

€‚ƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š‹ŒŽ‘’“”•–—˜™
    š›œžŸ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬
    ®¯°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿
    ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊË
    ÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×
    ØÙÚÛÜÝÞ
    ßàáâãäåæç
    èéêëìíîïðñ
    òóôõö÷øùúûüýþÿ
    <<__TEXT_END__>>
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ext_ascii.gif 
Views:	3 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	59312

Plus, the way I did it is extendable, so after I get this done and out there, I can work on adding Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Georgian, whatever... to the end of the current font frame_sets.

Last edited by james; 10-05-2022 at 12:33.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

New release of LaserBoy-10-13-2022!

Quite a few little bug fixes and a couple new things. This one comes with a partially implemented utf8 font rendering system. Windows code page 1252 plus the extra Polish letters are available in arial.ild and courier_new.ild. There is an example file called utf8_test.txt in the txt folder that renders them. I have to add the extra characters to the other fonts. That's going to take a while. It all still works the same for standard 7-bit ascii.

Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials