Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Ok, installation appears to have occurred.

Get the current zip and make sure you can compile it.

If you don't have a directory called build inside the LaserBoy folder make one. The current zip has one now.

Then get LB_04_02_2021.zip and copy src_04_02_2021 into the LaserBoy folder. You should be able to compile that too.

https://laserboy.org/code

Copy the contents of the new txt directory into the txt directory inside of the LaserBoy folder. Overwrite text.txt. Take a look at the new txt files. Then open them in the new version of LaserBoy.
    Last edited by james; 04-14-2021 at 06:27.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I have LaserBoy_Current.zip and LB_04_02_2021.zip decompressed, and MSYS is open. What do I do to compile?

Copy the folder src_04_02_2021 into the LaserBoy folder you got when you unzipped the current. Then open the Msys2 shell and from it, cd to the src folder you copied. Then issue the command

time make -f Makefile.w64

Let me know what happens.

Oh yeah... since Msys2 is like a Linux terminal, it expects to see your filesystem like Linux would see it. So you use forward slashes to separate folders and file names in paths and your hard drives are just lower case letters after the root slash. So, if you unzipped current into the root of your C: drive, it would be

cd /c/LaserBoy/src_04_02_2021

Then you should be able to list all the cpp, hpp and Makefiles with the command

ls

That's lower case LS.

If you get a list of source files then you can call the make command above.

If you ever wonder where you are just issue the command

pwd

and it will print the working directory (where your terminal is in your filesystem).

The Msys shell has command line completion. So you just need to type enough of the cd /c/LaserBoy/src_ blah blah blah and hit the [Tab] key and the shell will fill in the rest.

If you get through the whole build process, it will make a new exe file inside of the LaserBoy folder called LaserBoy64.exe

You can run it from the terminal.

cd ../

to move from src_04_02_2021 back to the LaserBoy folder and issue this command:

./LaserBoy64 1024 768

or whatever screen resolution you want for the window that LaserBoy will open and run in.
    Last edited by james; 04-15-2021 at 18:39.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I got this:

$ time make -f Makefile.w64
    x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.exe -c LaserBoy2.cpp -o ../build/LaserBoy2.o64 -D__MINGW_LASERBOY__ -D__WITH_SDL2__ -Dmain=SDL_main -I/c/msys64/mingw64/include -L/c/msys64/mingw64/lib -lmingw32 -lws2_32 -lSDL2main -lSDL2 -static-libstdc++ -static-libgcc -Wl,-Bstatic -lgcc -lstdc++ -lpthread -lboost_filesystem-mt -lboost_system-mt -Wl,-Bdynamic -std=c++11 -O3 -m64 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -mwindows -Wcpp -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-implicit-fallthrough -Wno-misleading-indentation -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -frounding-math -fsignaling-nans -fexpensive-optimizations
    make: x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.exe: No such file or directory
    make: *** [Makefile.w64:109: ../build/LaserBoy2.o64] Error 127

real 0m1.037s
    user 0m0.061s
    sys 0m0.109s

That says you don't have the C++ compiler installed.

When I installed Msys2 in Win10 I got 3 icons.

msys2
    mingw64
    mingw32

Just out of habit I use the msys2 shell for installing and updating everything.

I use the mingw64 to build the code.

So open msys2. Copy this:

Code:
    pacman -Syuu
    and paste it into the msys2 shell. Just hit enter every time it prompts you. Actually, do it multiple times until it says there's nothing to do.

Then this:

Code:
    pacman -S --needed  base-devel \
                        mingw-w64-i686-toolchain \
                        mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain \
                        git subversion mercurial \
                        mingw-w64-i686-cmake \
                        mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake \
                        mingw-w64-i686-boost \
                        mingw-w64-x86_64-boost \
                        mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-SDL2 \
                        mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-SDL2 \
                        mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-SDL \
                        mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-SDL
    The whole thing.

Again, just hit enter to accept the defaults.

This installs everything so you could build every variation of linking to SDL 1.2 or SDL2 in 32 bit or 64 bit.

There is a Makefile for each of the 4 combinations.

Now when you open the mingw64 shell

You should be able to call:

Code:
    time make -f Makefile.w64
    Last edited by james; 04-16-2021 at 13:28.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Ok, I think the machine got through all that. Here's the last few lines:

-L/c/msys64/mingw64/lib -lmingw32 -lws2_32 -lSDL2main -lSDL2 -static-libstdc++ -static-libgcc -Wl,-Bstatic -lgcc -lstdc++ -lpthread -lboost_filesystem-mt -lboost_system-mt -Wl,-Bdynamic
    strip -s -v ../LaserBoy64.exe
    copy from `../LaserBoy64.exe' [pei-x86-64] to `../stP1kAlM' [pei-x86-64]

That's it! You got it! Congratulations, you just compiled The 64-bit Windows version of LaserBoy.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Now, if you copy the txt files inside the txt folder in LB_04_02_2021.zip into the txt directory inside of your LaserBoy installation folder, you can open them in LaserBoy. You can also open them in any text editor and look at the script that creates each vector set you see loaded into LaserBoy. There is also some rough documentation there. That's what I hope to work on during this beta testing period before my next public release. Thanks for taking the time to work through this.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I got oscillator.txt and snail.txt to display, but acceleration.txt and animated_forms.txt produce crashes.