Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Interesting. Douglas Peucker works by examing a point between two other points. If the perpendicular distance to the middle point from the segment between the end points is greater than some distance then it is not considered important. This will prevent curves from becoming too angular. It does not worry about the min distance between points. You'd have to go back and interpolate in a second pass (or maybe along the way).

I don't get what you mean.

That's mean as in the definition of: not mean as in the average!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

It's well documented. Just Google Douglas Peucker and it should explain it well.

Ha! That's funny! They use the outlines of continents as examples!

It looks like this method doesn't move any points. It just omits them. You would lose a lot of details that way.

I had another idea that I might experiment with. If you smack yourself in the forehead and realize that you might as well be looking at a section of a multi-channel wave file you could do a down-sample using a very simple algorithm. But first you would have to know that the points are optimized for equal time between samples.

Maybe I should write a white paper on my idea and get it published!

The setting of insignificant_distance has been a part of LaserBoy for many years. It was originally added to clean up ADAT wave imports. Since ADAT tapes are made by recording analog signals, there is a bit of noise, so even consecutive samples that are supposed to be exactly the same value (like dwell) are not exactly the same.

Eventually I want to make it possible to optimize every frame to be an exact number of samples (even with added dwell and blanking paths) so that I can make waves that are EXACTLY a specified number of frames per second. I want to distribute samples within the art of the frame rather than just dumping samples into a big blank spot at the end of every frame.

Then I can hook that up to a time line editor with music tracks.

My objective with making LaserBoy waves from frame sets has always been to keep the lasers lit as much as possible. I guess that is because I started out with an old gas rig that was very low power.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-17-2015 at 10:32.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I'm not going to reverse engineer your code to figure out the file format. If you can't even document your file format then you have not gone past first base as far as I am concerned. So, I'm not even going to continue.
    Did you follow this link and read it?

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?...sg5574#msg5574

Does that mean that you are "not even going to continue" to believe that it's nonsense because you don't understand it?

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Did you follow this link and read it?

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?...sg5574#msg5574

Does that mean that you are "not even going to continue" to believe that it's nonsense because you don't understand it?

James.
    I'm not going to work to understand nonsense. Why would I do that?

I'm not going to work to understand nonsense. Why would I do that?
    OK.

Proof.

We're done here.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

So, by your silence you are admitting that I proved you wrong about exception handling?

So, by your silence you are admitting that I proved you wrong about exception handling?
    No. You proved yourself to be ignorant and full of shit.

You have no case against my wave file extension.

I know all about exception handling. Neither one of us had anything to do with designing it. It is well documented and there is plenty of debate for and against it.

The link I provided to you describes every byte in its proper location for an entire LaserBoy formatted wave in its current form.

Why not just admit that you don't know anything about it?

It's only nonsense to YOU.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-25-2015 at 13:59.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

You know I am right.