Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 48545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Determining where to start and stop a laser scanned, rendered line drawing that has blanking between line segments has always been the challenge and the 'artful' aspect. The more line segments the harder and more complicated the task at hand. The bigger the "jump" between segment end-points and the next segments start-point determines the time delay to allow the scanned beam to arrive at the line segment's end-point along with the delay to allow the beam to get to the next start-of-line before turning the beam "on" again. I suppose these days it is possible to know the instantaneous beam velocity at any point in time based on input data and the step-response equations of the galvos.

But, once someone has entered a handful of images using a digitizing tablet (again, from the old days) and displaying the initial results on closed-loop scanners (or even open-loop for that matter), a rule-of-thumb quickly emerges for how to handle pre-blanking and post-blanking delays for a given worst case degree of scan angle used in playback. Its a learned process not to different from how one learns the best way to put and arrange groceries in a grocery sack or bag. If you don't start out and try doing it, then learn from your mistakes, you'll never learn the art of arrangement.

Now days, real-time computational power at ones disposal is mind-blowing for the relatively small frequency and time-domains involved with laser scanning. (not that I ever expect to go there ;-) )

My approach from the beginning was to create my own set of data types in C++. Since each and every aspect of a frame_set is made of C++ classes (objects) each one can have a set of functions and overloaded arithmetic operators defined on it. So apart from the actual data itself of each frame in a set being an ordered list of vertices, there is all of the meta data that can be extracted from that; like the distance between the points, the simple 2D angle in a series of 3 consecutive points, the idea that a lit segment is an isolated object and a frame is made of one or more individual lit segments. When I optimize a frame_set I first strip it down to only its essential points. I remove all of the velocity points along straight lines and all of the dwell for corners. I can reverse the stroke of any lit segment, so I can look at either end to determine the shortest path through all of the lit segments. It is also true that sometimes the jump from the end of one lit segment to another might either be a fairly straight shot or maybe it requires a sharp angular change. If the closest point requires more dwell than a straight shot, then the better choice is the straight shot.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

After nearly 3 years, a pandemic and a house fire, my piece, Every Byte (In Order) is now a part of the collection of art on permanent display at the Summit County Akron Public Library, main branch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Every Byte.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	411.2 KB 
ID:	59082
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Soo... Why did they mount it on it's side?🤷*♂️
    It's the right way if you read it as 256 rows of 8 columns.

Each column is a bit.

Each row is a byte from 0x00 to 0xFF, or 0 to 255, or 00000000 to 11111111, in order from top to bottom.

James.

http://laserboy.org/free_art/every_byte.zip
    as ilda.

Last edited by james; 08-17-2022 at 15:19.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Has anyone watched my recent videos (0016 - 0019)?

Do they make any sense?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

New version of LaserBoy!!!

https://laserboy.org/code/LaserBoy_Current.zip

LaserBoy-08-24-2022

This version fixes a crash condition in the LaserBoy Liquid Math script language and fixes some of the documentation.

It also deprecates the used of:

spread_move
    spread_scale
    spread_rotate

_spread_move
    _spread_scale
    _spread_rotate

and replaces them with:

move_
    scale_
    rotate_

_move_
    _scale_
    _rotate_

(The spread operators still work in the script for backwards comparability)

Also, for those of you who like the monochrome menu text, it plays all the way through now, so all of the text in the display window becomes monochrome.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Recently, dchammonds, Dean, asked about adding a return path (blanked) from the last point back to the first in an ilda file.
    I'm still looking for that...

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    I'm still looking for that...
    Well join in the conversation!

It's really hard for me to develop for a void.

What software / hardware are you using to display directly from an ilda file?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

If you export a frame_set as wav, then open it back into the app, every sample of the fully optimized wav is loaded into the app frame_set space. So you can examine it from that perspective and if you save it as-is to an ild file you get all that.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials