Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

That sounds very much like a Win 32 heap overrun.

It shouldn't do that in Win 64.

DL the dev version again.

https://laserboy.org/code/LB_04_02_2021.zip

I just built the exe in Win10 64-bit. It's now in that zip.

LaserBoy64.exe

Rename the version of the LaserBoy exe you compiled and copy this one into the LaserBoy directory. I'd like to see a size comparison.

My experience with Win10 is a laptop. When I run LB, it often goes into a coma for a while. But eventually it comes out of it and there you are.
    Last edited by james; 04-17-2021 at 11:04.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I'm sorry, I forgot about the size comparison until it was too late. Everything works now though. I can look at the docs and the examples and see if I can get some of my own stuff happening.

Now that I can compile LaserBoy, is there a way to replace the rainbow ui text with monochrome? I'm all for software being controlled exclusively with single key strokes, as this, once learned, permits work-as-fast-as-you-think workflow. But I literally cannot read the menus without taking screen captures and using imaging processing to remove the color, and this is not an optimal workflow.

Look in LaserBoy_TUI.hpp

The function that starts at line 146.

replace it with this:

Code:
        //------------------------------------------------------------------------
        u_int next_hue()
        {
    //         TUI_palette_index += 12;
    //         TUI_palette_index %= 254;
    //         return bmp.make_rgb(palette_picker(LASERBOY_LASERBOY_HUES).at(TUI_palette_index).r,
    //                             palette_picker(LASERBOY_LASERBOY_HUES).at(TUI_palette_index).g,
    //                             palette_picker(LASERBOY_LASERBOY_HUES).at(TUI_palette_index).b
    //                            );
             return bmp.make_rgb(0, 128, 0);
        }
    You can put whatever rgb values you want in

return bmp.make_rgb(0, 128, 0);
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Thanks, James. Much better now. I'd like to get started with your new abstract generating programming language, but the scope of it's apparent capabilities is so vast that I'm finding it difficult to get started. Would you prefer a back-and-forth on this thread, or a phone call? Please email me your time zone and preferred time(s) for a call.

I'd be glad to talk to you on the phone.

330 762 7137

Eastern Time
    usually any time between about noon and 4PM.

But I would also like some record of our exploration of Liquid Math.

The basic idea is that there is a set of parameters that all have default values before your text file is opened. In your text you can change the default values to whatever you want and then call a "generator" to use those parameters to populate a frame set with math generated vector art. Once you have something generated you can call functions (unary operators) on that frame_set that change it in some way by moving scaling or rotating in various ways. The whole thing is designed specifically for animation. So it is structured to allow you to define an initial and a final set of parameters and LaserBoy figures out all of the frames in between. You can also do math (binary operators) between frame_sets, adding them together vertex to vertex or multiplying or rotating or using the values of one to set the rgb colors of another. It's pretty insane what you can do. It takes some imagination to be able to visualize what you want and then figure out how to get there in text, but you can do it in steps and render each step to see what you have.

At the moment there are 60 different generators. Actually there are 30 that generate a single frame and 30 that generate an animated frame_set.

Most of the generators use LaserBoy_oscillator objects. This is kind-of tricky to understand. An LBO is actually a function based on sin(t) where t is on an interval of real numbers. An LBO has a set of parameters that allow you to modify all aspects of the sin(t) function, by amplitude, frequency, phase, duty_cycle, damping and offset. Plus the sin function itself can be replaced with triangle, ramp, square, pulse, trapeziod or circle. One LBO (all of its parameters) can be blended with another in any portion from 0.0 to 1.0, meaning, the function itself can morph from one state to another, including the shape of the periodic function. This is a big part of facilitating animation.

I need to come up with more example txt files. There are quite a few features of the script that have no examples of use yet.

James.
    Last edited by james; 04-19-2021 at 09:17.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Thanks, James. Much better now. I'd like to get started with your new abstract generating programming language, but the scope of it's apparent capabilities is so vast that I'm finding it difficult to get started. Would you prefer a back-and-forth on this thread, or a phone call? Please email me your time zone and preferred time(s) for a call.
    This was my same experience and impression upon attempting to explore the world of "Laser Boy" and it's expressive powers. So I am also interested in better insights, like Greg is.

Well alright then!

I'll add the ability to switch to a monochrome menu system and let you set the rgb values in the app.

BTW, I'll talk to just about anybody via voice some how.

If you are international, I can use FB phone or Skype or Zoom. Just let me know.

PM me here or james@akrobiz.com
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Well alright then!

I'll add the ability to switch to a monochrome menu system and let you set the rgb values in the app.

BTW, I'll talk to just about anybody via voice some how.

If you are international, I can use FB phone or Skype or Zoom. Just let me know.

PM me here or james@akrobiz.com
    James, for me it wasn't that the menus were not in monochrome, rather it was there were so many menus, each with sooo many options to grasp and digest. Make sense?

Well I guess so. It came together in bits over time
    for me and it does so many things, and I had to first see the need of something and then code it and test it. I tried to organize functionality in sensible ways in the menu system. But there is a lot to it. A big limitation of a key stroke menu system is that there are only so many keys to hang functions on. So I had to make several menus. You should look at all the code that gives you all those nested menus! It's not just a key event loop, its also managing printing all of that text into the window every key event.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Am I incorrect that the alternative to lots of menus with lots of functions is... lots of menus with lots of functions that requires aiming and traversing as well as selection? To be clear, all I'm saying is, speaking for me only, I like the interface, it's gets very fast for commonly performed usage sequences.

Seriously though, I'm trying to get a mental grip on the approach to take with LiquidMath for getting from nothing to some common abstract generating capability.

So... Generators from a library of generators may or may not use LBOs which are parameter groups with defaults, and everything has named parameters, and generators generate frame sets?

At present, say I'm going for a standard peanut shape by spinning two circles one three times as fast as the other.

So I look in the file generators.txt and find a generator called lissajou that does this:
    # x = LBO1(t)
    # y = LBO2(t)

and I look in the file called parameters.txt and find the LBO parameters, and come up with something to test:

math lissajou
    math LBO1 frequency 100.0
    math LBO2 frequency 300.0
    math render

and this gives a diagonal line, because both oscillators are producing the sin, neither is cosine?

Should I be looking for LBO parameters such as
    math LBO2 function (cos?)
    or
    math LBO2 phase (something)
    to turn one oscillator 1/2 pi phase from the other?