Page 38 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

This is what I am currently working on with LaserBoy.

http://laserboy.org/convergence.mp4

There are 4000 frames. Each frame is exactly the same line equation; a spiral made by 100 iterations around the unit circle and progressively linearly scaled from 0.0 to 1.0. The only difference between each frame is the number of vertices plotted along the line. It starts with 96 and ends with 303.

This was rendered from the new version of LaserBoy Formatted ASCII Text.
    This is what it looks like in text:

Code:
    math one_rotation          360.0
    math one_period            1.0
    math hues_shift_per_frame  3

#    form       frames
    math lissajous  4000
    # amplitude   frequency   phase
      1.0         1.0         0.00
      1.0         1.0         90.0
    # duration    iterations
      100.00      96
    # amplitude   frequency   phase
      1.0         1.0         0.00
      1.0         1.0         90.0
    # duration    iterations
      100.00      303

math cumulative_scale
    # from X Y Z
       0 0 0
    # to X Y Z
       1 1 1
    # acceleration

math render_form_span_hues 1.0
    It will probably take me just as long to document how the new text format works and how to use it as it has to write the code that reads and renders it.

Would anyone be interested in getting a preview version of LaserBoy and experimenting with the new text format?

That might be very helpful for me to write instructions. I already know how it works (I think).

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Nice! That reminds me of something.

Olives in a jar? ...............
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Olives in a jar? ...............
    Here is the video link to my YouTube video I recently posted that includes several examples of the circular vertex swirl effect transfer function I wrote in Applesoft Basic back in the early 80's:
    https://youtu.be/u4L8_bGAP-s

It's a great visual pleaser, for sure.

I had to come up with some funky math to make that animation move so smoothly. Normally one would think that the number of points plotted in a frame would be an integer. But that doesn't give you the fluid motion of all those frames in between. So I rewrote all the math figure functions to take a double float for iterations and calculate an interval step and a final remainder.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I had to come up with some funky math to make that animation move so smoothly. Normally one would think that the number of points plotted in a frame would be an integer. But that doesn't give you the fluid motion of all those frames in between. So I rewrote all the math figure functions to take a double float for iterations and calculate an interval step and a final remainder. James.
    ...and it worked beautifully.

Thank you!

You should try it out for yourself.

Do you want to be involved in the testing and documentation?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Thank you!

You should try it out for yourself.

Do you want to be involved in the testing and documentation?
    I wish I could. I just don't have the time, but thank you. (old man here, still trying to remember how to play with and/or update his old laser software).
    I spent a lot of time viewing your tutorials, and to be honest, there are a lot of "moving parts" to learn and remember. I haven't given up on it, just put it on a backburner.

Right now LaserBoy is almost 82 thousand lines of active code, not counting comments or blank lines.

Code:
    github.com/AlDanial/cloc v 1.82  T=1.59 s (29.6 files/s, 58140.0 lines/s)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Language                     files          blank        comment           code
    C++                             21           1753           6587          73868
    C/C++ Header                    25            210           1876           7996
    make                             1             28              3            114
    SUM:                            47           1991           8466          81978
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Right now LaserBoy is almost 82 thousand lines of active code, not counting comments or blank lines.
    That's quite a jewel box.