Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *One* of my other hobbies (I have way too many)

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Bluefang: How about an earlier picture of Meanie when she was yellow?

Adam
    here ya go:

Photo from breeder
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meanie-unboxing01.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	328.5 KB 
ID:	45733

Unboxing photos:

Name:	meanie-unboxing02.jpg 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	45734

Name:	meanie-unboxing03.jpg 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	45735

pre-molt - "leave me alone I am sleeping"

Name:	meanie-unboxing04.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	418.1 KB 
ID:	45736

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Gee...something else in common. While not as exotic as some of yours, I've had several snakes. Black Rat, Eastern King, Ball Python, several ribbon and garter snakes. The first one I ever played with was a 14' Indian Python at a friends house in Michigan when I was 11 and was hooked.

My parents said I couldn't have a cat or a dog because "I wouldn't take care of my pets." I think it's more that they didn't want to be hindered with dealing with something they couldn't leave for more than 8 hours so, I had turtles, snakes, lizards, fish, birds and I guess they loosened up some about the idea because my dad bought my mom a pet skunk for her 43rd birthday that we had a for a few years. (Normal pets waited until I was on my own and included two collies and about 4-5 cats.)
    I use to have two cats... I then moved to snakes because I travel a lot with my current job, and wanted something that was a bit more low maintenance - something I could leave alone for weeks at a time.

Here is one of my Ball Pythons that I got last summer... awesome little dude...

Name:	goobers-001-web.jpg 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	45737
    Last edited by BlueFang; 12-19-2014 at 15:16.

Beautiful pictures! Thanks!

Adam

I've been wanting a snake for quite some time. The main reason I never got one is due to the pain of moving it while in the military. The green one looks better but I'd rather have a smaller one such as a ball.

Name:	1466226_10200101115288642_5965942301634232804_n.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	45825My Newest 'pet'

Both Texas and Florida record is ~48 inches --mine is ~36inches and the largest I have EVER seen.
    I kept an 18 inch one here in Texas for 18 months--

drop for drop The Coral is #2 in killing power- but not really a dangerous snake if you know what you are doing.

)))))))))))))))

I have kept herps for most of my adult life-While working a zoo keeper in Florida my 'collection' peaked at 28 snakes which included several breeding pairs.(rat snakes)

At work we had most of the snakes found in Florida including Corals-being NOT easy to feed we watched them closely and tried to release before starving..
    Other 'Hots' I have kept have been ' northern' copperhead and cotton mouth- a Canebrake rattlesnake-diamond back and pygmy rattlesnakes- a Maylasian flying snake-(rear fanged mildy venomous)
    I lived in an one-room house at the Zoo (Everglades Wonder Gardens in Bonita Springs)and got very few visitors--during that time.
    'others' include all the Florida Rat snakes including the very rare Key West Red Ratsnake.
    Coachwhips and racers.one 7 foot Indigo (my FAV!!!)-- garter, ribbon and glass and grass snakes (food for Corals) Northern Black and Grey Rat Snakes (proven breeders)
    An African burrowing snake and a sick puff adder (mouth rot)-that died shortly after it was given to me.(free)--Florida Kings-- Hognosed snake- red belly mud snake-common water snakes of Florida.
    boas- balls- and a few I cant remember ATM.

I have had a few close calls and took a bite on my finger from a week-old pygmy rattlesnake--
    the effect was hardly noticable- not a whole lot of venom in a snake THAT tiny(6 inches).
    I lost for 3 years a boa I bought as a tiny baby (I had a wholesale permit and then they cost me $10 each)- She turned up one day in a tree at the zoo- grown some2.5 feet and had lots of scars from rat bites ( I never feed rats or mice who still have their teeth)

Snakes are escape experts and no less than 100% careful keeping will work. This Coral I just got was able to crawl thru the overhand knot I had on the pillowcase(without untieing the knot) she was in and was loose for 7 hours in my house--I would have been VERY sad had I not found 'her' as unless she found a way outside she would have eventually died. 'she' was under the frig.

I was, however, at no time worried about anyone getting bitten--death/bites from Coral snake is(almost) always the fault of the human involved--BUT some people MAY have died and the death was miss-diagnosed as a heart attack. AND that could happen also the other way around.
    Last recorded death 2007 iirc and happened to a homeless guy who was trying to kill it in Bonita Springs Fl. SAME city where my zoo keeping years happened.

By the time he sought help it was too late (24 hrs)

more pics of 'Cora-Lee' when I can..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10846716_10200195271122479_415304829_n.jpg  

Last edited by hakzaw1; 12-28-2014 at 18:34.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Wow, those are all stunning...I always wanted a chameleon, but never was able to find a place to buy one. A friend of mine growing up had a beautiful tree python, and that was the first time I had really seen any snake close up (minus the occasional garter slinking around in the yard).
    I would love to get a bush viper, but the whole venom thing, and once again not knowing where to get one. Anyone here have a viper of any sort/ know anyone who does? IMO they are the most stunningly beautiful/deadly looking/terrifying snakes. Mesmerizing, almost.

Name:	nGQKQMT.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	591.0 KB 
ID:	45829
    You can't tell me that doesn't simultaneously look terrifying and amazing

There are an occasional reptile expo things where breeders/sellers/buyers meet - and you can join reptile forums to get with many sellers.. beside you don't really want to ship them. True Chameleons are awesome but not easy to keep nor cheap--Bearded Dragons and a good choice. Personally I would NOT be comfy with a bush viper in the house--
    I keep this coral I its enclosure I my carport.. So if 'she' does escape, (again) she will be outside NOT in my house.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-