Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *One* of my other hobbies (I have way too many)

Default *One* of my other hobbies (I have way too many)

This little beauty just finished it's neonate yellow to green transition - GTPs are born either yellow or red and change to green during their teenage years - got some decent pics last night... thought I would share something from one of the other things that keeps me way too busy... The macro shots makes her look way bigger than she actually is - you can see in the last pic just how tiny she is at 1.5 years old.

Green Tree Python (Morelia viridis)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meanie01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	453.3 KB 
ID:	45605

Name:	meanie02.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	611.8 KB 
ID:	45606

Name:	meanie03.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	441.0 KB 
ID:	45607

Name:	meanie05.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	45608

I have always found Pythons to be the most elegant of all snakes. I have only had a California King. I always wanted a ball python or larger. Unfortunately, the 2008 recession caused me to sell my terrarium and snake to a buddy of my who was also into herpetology. Him, a lot more than me. Beautiful girl you have there! Gorgeous color.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Beautiful girl you have there! Gorgeous color.
    Thanks. I got two babies at the same time from different breeders. One was smaller than the other and one was a bit "nippy" - so I named one Eenie and the other Meanie. This one is Meanie... though she has pretty much grown out of her Meanie phase so I think I need to come up with a better name.

I also have quite a few Ball Pythons. They are awesome. Kinda like the puppy dog of the snake world. Quite curious and social. Also the genetic makeup in Ball Pythons is beyond anything seen in recent domesticated breeding adventures. The sheer number of patterns and colors possible is crazy. With GTPs, it's difficult to know what you are gonna get because they completely change colors and patterns once they turn green. But this one seems to be progressing quite nicely!

I've read that about Ball Pythons and as such I regretted getting my King. I got my Cali King because of the colors. I called him Worm because he looked just like one of the sand worms from Betelgeuse. Beautiful contrast, black and white stripe. The only bad thing was, as much as I tried to handle him, he was still very antisocial and had a nasty temper. It was even worse when he was moulting and his eye caps killed his vision.

Very nice progression. I am still amazed at that coloring. Almost like a Water Dragon but way more vivid!
    Last edited by absolom7691; 12-09-2014 at 23:03. Reason: Spelling
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I have never had a snake but i do have two bearded dragons, draka and ruby, my first one was a rescue and i have been hooked since, in the pick, ruby is the one in the bottom, draka has only three legs but she tries lol.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0014.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	45633

Beardies are awesome! I recently got a baby Veiled Chameleon... he is fascinating to watch - the stereoscopic eyes and lightning fast tongue are amazing to watch - though he is super shy and easily stressed out - not at all like a bearded dragon. Hopefully as he gets older he will loosen up a bit.

... it's not my hobby, but my parents have a 'brooding-place' (?) in the garden, where different snakes and lizards leave their eggs in clutches - some ten to hundred eggs in a nest.

In 2011 this was a bit more than usual, so I several times had to collect/remove the snakes and put them out in the woods, so my parents could dig/fork their garden without harming or trampling them.

Here's an image of a young grass snake, maybe 4 weeks after hatching:

Name:	Schlange 2011.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	45644

Viktor

Chameleon's are amazing to watch, and watching them climb stuff other critters would fall from, how long to they live for?
    as for snakes me an a friend know a really good spot to find them and we don't tell others as we want to keep them safe form other people

Bluefang: How about an earlier picture of Meanie when she was yellow?

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Gee...something else in common. While not as exotic as some of yours, I've had several snakes. Black Rat, Eastern King, Ball Python, several ribbon and garter snakes. The first one I ever played with was a 14' Indian Python at a friends house in Michigan when I was 11 and was hooked.

My parents said I couldn't have a cat or a dog because "I wouldn't take care of my pets." I think it's more that they didn't want to be hindered with dealing with something they couldn't leave for more than 8 hours so, I had turtles, snakes, lizards, fish, birds and I guess they loosened up some about the idea because my dad bought my mom a pet skunk for her 43rd birthday that we had a for a few years. (Normal pets waited until I was on my own and included two collies and about 4-5 cats.)