Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fans!

Question Fans!

So, I have my new laser projector from Golden Star and there are a few issues I am wanting to sort out, but this post is regarding the noise the fans make!

I guess in a club this wouldn't matter so much but a project I am working on is with no music!! yes I know? So I would like to get it as quiet as possible.

It has two inlet and two exhaust fans all (12v 0.35A) 60x60x25, I can either try to upgrade these to something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FG-019-NB It is the small box laser with seperate optical chamber on the top deck.

Or..... has anyone retrofitted PWM fans to their laser, using the extra wire to control the speed of the fan (so only full speed when needed) - my initial thoughts on this would be how do I install the controller for the fans, i.e. is there a suitable solution to fit a stand alone controller or should i just go down the super silent 'normal' fan replacement?

Hi Stevi,
    I'm sure the guys will chime in with some fan controllers, but in the mean time check out RScomponents and Farnel.
    Even if you find them cheaper somewhere else at least you can compare specs with their filtered search funchtions.
    Sunon and EBM Papst make some very quiet fans. I've bought a couple of 70mm x 10mm maglev Sunons for a micro projector and they are 28db.

Generally the larger the fan diameter the quieter as it can run slower to while moving the same air. Also do a search for the maths involved in calculating the nose of 2 fans together. I can't remember the relationship but two 28dB fans will probably be around 33db ish if I remember correctly.

On on my 5w rgb I have 4x 120mm EBM Papst fans and I have to check to see if they are on some times.

Good luck
    Kit

Kit has covered most of it, main thing you need to realize is if you slow the fan down, e.g. 7v mod, bearing and motor noise are the next on the list.

So if not a maglev bearing fan, which are relatively pricey last time I checked, go sleeve bearing. It will last similar to a ball bearing with continued oiling, if you manage to rack up 10,000 hours a year or something... whilst being much quieter.

I fit as large of a fan as possible, running it slow if not already quiet enough. Silverstone makes some great sleeve bearing fans and they are true 20db fans (many are not..). You can't hear the 180mm models in close proximity, sitting on a desk, let alone in a case.

Edit: for control KISS unless it's PWM already.. an appropriate trim pot is probably plenty if it's a smaller fan. For bigger stuff I remember building a 12v motor controller kit for this type of thing..
    Last edited by Soulstorm; 07-05-2013 at 00:39.

Cheers guys, will look into those options.
    I am however restricted to 60mm fans due to the case design.
    There is also a larger fan on the heatsink mounted under the laser modules as well.
    I will perhaps look into swapping that but will try it without the four case fans? Are there any implications to switching the laser power on and off to try these things?
    I do have a dB meter so will grab some readings when back home.

I've had great results with Orion fans. They have models that run off AC and they're very quiet.

I use Sunon Maglev fans and can safely say they run very quiet (no contact between the shaft and the bearing). Even the tiny 50mm ones.

I run my case like yours with 2 inlet, 1 exhaust, all run at just under 6V, and they're nice and quiet.
    You don't need high speed forced cooling, you just need to move the warm air out and a bit of new stuff in. They don't make that much heat...
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I run my case like yours with 2 inlet, 1 exhaust, all run at just under 6V, and they're nice and quiet.
    You don't need high speed forced cooling, you just need to move the warm air out and a bit of new stuff in. They don't make that much heat...
    Sounds about right, the fans on this seem a bit OTT, especially as it also has an internal 80mm fan mounted on the main heatsink under the lasers!

Have ordered some replacement Maglev slow running fans, hopefully a lot quieter. I am wondering even if I need the 80mm fan on the heatsink under the lasers underneath the optic compartment shelf, surely with 2 60mm inlet fans and 2 60mm exhaust fans cooling the air in the PSU section, the unit would be sufficiently cool?

What else does anyone have as far as cooling goes?
    Last edited by steviobee; 07-14-2013 at 08:18.

Of the cheaper fans available, Sunon are reliable. I also like Papst but they are expensive.
    This space for rent.