Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable, Telescoping, Aluminum support poles for mirrors, projectors, or lights!

Smile Adjustable, Telescoping, Aluminum support poles for mirrors, projectors, or lights!

Hey guys... Jeff (RGB-GAS) ran across some cool hardware while he was working on a Sears store that was going out of business. It seems they purchased a bunch of these professional support poles and mounting hardware with the intent of using them to hang banners, signs, and other stuff in the store, but they never actually got around to using them. If you've ever seen the old bounce-mirror trees that AVI used to use back in the day, you will immediately recognize these poles and clamps.

They are all aluminum, so they are very light weight. The poles are adjustable from 9ft 7 in to 15ft 1 in, and they lock solidly into position with a large lever mechanism in the middle. The bottom pole section is ~ 1 3/4 inches in diameter, while the top post is ~ 1 3/8 inches in diameter. The clamps are rated for 15 KG each (call it 30 lbs), although I've tested them successfully at over twice that load with no problems.

Here are some pictures (more can be found in my gallery):

That last image (blue background) shows the clamps Jeff got from the store next to one of the many bounce mirrors he purchased from AVI several years ago when they were liquidating their stock in Florida. Look closely at the clamps! Apart from the fact that the AVI mounts are black, they are identical to the mounts Jeff got from the store.

Jeff managed to pick up quite a few of these poles and clamps, and he even got some of the large metal bases that screw into the bottom of the poles. Those allow you to use the poles as a free-standing unit, rather than one that is "wedged" between the floor and the ceiling as in my pictures.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in picking up some of these, Jeff is offering them for the same price he paid from the store: $40 for one pole, and $5 per clamp. So for $50 you can get a support pole and two clamps (with the extension arms shown in the pictures). This would be suitable for mounting a set of bounce mirrors, or a few lighting fixtures, or even a pair of small RGB projectors (up to something as large as a Pluto II) if you wanted. Remember, EACH clamp is rated for 15 Kilograms. The poles themselves have a maximum vertical load capacity of 60 kilograms.

Not sure exactly how many Jeff was able to get, but I decided to pick up 4 of these things since the price was so cheap. Jeff said he will deliver them to you at SELEM, or at his convenience up or down the eastern coast if he is passing your way. (Jeff does a lot of work between Virgina and Florida, so he's up and down I-95 all the time.) If you can't wait that long, you can arrange other shipping options with him directly.

Jeff asked me to post this here in the forum, since he's still at the job site hauling off the rest of the fixtures from inside the store. But he figured people would want to know about these right away.

Feel free to contact me or Jeff if you have any questions. I've got 8 of the clamps and one of the poles (including the heavy metal baseplate) here at the house already, with the other 3 poles to be delivered shortly after the 1st of the new year.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 12-19-2014 at 15:47.

Smile Extra information:

OK - several people have contacted me about these poles, so I thought it would be good to post some more information here.

First, the poles do not have to be wedged against the ceiling. They can also be used as a free-standing pole when screwed into the heavy metal baseplate. (I will try to get a picture of one of these plates posted soon so you can see what I mean.) There is also a commercial tripod base that you can purchase that will fit these poles. (Unfortunately, the store didn't purchase any of those.)

If you would rather have a pole with the metal baseplate instead of the rubber foot, just ask. We have a limited supply of the metal baseplates, so it will be first-come, first served. (Edit: I think the metal baseplates are $5 each, but I need to check with Jeff to be sure.) Alternately, if you want we can supply a bracket for the top of the pole that will allow you to bolt it permanently in place to a structure (instead of the rubber foot for the top). No charge for the top bracket, but once again it's first-come, first served.

Second, the poles do not rotate once the lever is locked in place. So yes, they look like a stripper pole, and there's no doubt they could hold the vertical weight of someone hanging on them, but they don't rotate like a stripper pole does. Also, they are not designed to handle the varying lateral loads that a swinging stripper would place on such a pole. Bottom line: don't use these for pole-dancing practice!

Finally, there are at least 28 poles and 56 clamps available, and there may be more. (EDIT: We are down to 16 poles, and I think we are all out of the clamps that have the short arms on them, although we have more of the empty clamps.) Jeff will be going to the store this weekend to get a final count of the remaining fixtures.

That being said, when they are gone, they are gone for good. (No way we'll ever find a deal like this again.)

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 12-19-2014 at 15:50.

Adam, that's way to generous of Jeff. He should be collecting some profit for his time and effort on this good find.

Reading your first entry, I was excited to think that I could begin home pole dancing lessons only to be crushed by the limitations discussed in your follow-up. (The visual of a middle-aged man pole dancing should haunt the dreams of most of the people who read this forum. )

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I was excited to think that I could begin home pole dancing lessons only to be crushed by the limitations discussed in your follow-up. (The visual of a middle-aged man pole dancing should haunt the dreams of most of the people who read this forum. )

-David
    thank you for saying what we were all thinking.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

interesting... interesting... I would like to buy 2 but I have no idea how I could ever use them without the metal bases... and even then not sure how safe they would be? but they sure seem neat! tempting!

So, minimum height is 9.5'? Not really an option for any room with 8' ceilings, then?

(So, minimum height is 9.5'? Not really an option for any room with 8' ceilings, then? )I have a few that are 7 ft 6 to 13 ft 4.

I also have 4 that are still in shipping box's ready to go.

(no idea how I could ever use them without the metal bases... and even then not sure how safe they would be? but they sure seem neat! tempting.)
    I have the metal base for each pole. and they are quite sturdy i will use 2ftx2ft osb with sand bags over the base not sure if I have a rubber foot and top for each one. also have part that is made for drop ceiling. they sell a 3 leg stand for the pole, I have not found any at the store.
    I have more clamps without the 12 inch arm great for quick mounts. thanks for looking jeff

These are called Autopoles, commonly made by Bogen/Manfrotto/Impact. They were very popular in the retail scene, but mostly used for photography studios/grip applications.
    If you ever need parts for these, just look up Autopole.
    They are very handy for low weight uses, the tensioning mechanism is pretty good, but can only hold a few pounds.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Adam, that's way too generous of Jeff. He should be collecting some profit for his time and effort on this good find.
    Call it good laser karma. We all work together to help each other out. In the end, everyone wins!

The visual of a middle-aged man pole dancing should haunt the dreams of most of the people who read this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    I have no idea how I could ever use them without the metal bases... and even then not sure how safe they would be?
    As Jeff posted above - put the metal base on the bottom of the pole and cover that with a 3 ft square sheet of OSB. Sand-bag the OSB and you won't be able to push the pole over no matter how hard you try.

Here's what the metal baseplate looks like (I'm guessing it weighs about 20 lbs):

Also, for those of you who have the on-stage brand tripods (like I do), the bottom pole section will slide right into the adapter on the top pole of the tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by luxilid View Post
    the tensioning mechanism is pretty good, but can only hold a few pounds.
    I hung two projectors (Pluto II's that weigh about 45 lbs each) on the upper section of the pole using the clamps and side arms you see in the pictures above, and the tension clamp on the support pole never slipped. When you lock the lever, the top pole rises about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and locks in *really* tight. I don't think I could pull it down with my entire body weight hanging on it.

Edit - Proof:

That picture was taken with the top end of the pole unsupported (as you can see), with the bottom end of the pole stuck into the baseplate (but not screwed in). No slippage at all.

To compare, the locking mechanism on these poles is much tighter than the standard friction locks on my on-stage speaker stands, and yet those on-stage stands have been used to support Frank's infamous LT-1000 projector (which easily weighs double what a Pluto II does, if not more).

Bottom line: these things aren't going to slip.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 12-19-2014 at 05:13.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Is that.... pandas??

Alas, my stripper no longer works for me but.... I have another one taking lessons that has her own pole. (I love my staff!)

As you know I am in for 4 poles and 8 clamps but, I'll specify that the taller ones are fine. My ceilings wher these would go are just shy of 14' and I'll do the wedge thing. How much are the bases? I may have missed that in the thread.