Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40k scanners... Best prices & types?

Default 40k scanners... Best prices & types?

Okay, here's the deal... I need to get an idea of the best 40k scanners to go with; I hope to be ordering them this week. I have that Goldenstar laser projector that I've posted several pics of already... Anyway, looking for the most inexpensive model and the best one that I can get for a decent range. I'm a kinda middle of the road kinda guy, I would like the lowest, midrange and most expensive scanners and I'll probably go with something around the midrange area, unless they're not terribly expensive...

So, how wide are you wanting/expecting your "40K scanners" to scan at 40K? 5 degrees? 30 degrees?

Best 40kpps scanners?
    uhhh well at the moment that would be the cambridge CTHP scanners or at minimum the DT40pro's.
    The better deal will off course be the saturn 1 scanners but those cannot be purchased yet.

I routinely run DT40 pros at 40k at 8 degrees or 35k at 12 degrees with fairly good results. Content quality, tuning and mirror size are part of the equation, of course.

Pt40s (these are not the wide versions which are pt40a) from Omar at eightonlight are a great value and I routinely push them to 40k at 8 degrees and they do quite well. Not perfect ILDA test frame precise, but more than adequate for viewing most content. I'd call these the best bang for the buck for 40k capability although I'd get Saturns if money was no object.

As always, your mileage may vary and the details of your particular needs and the realities of your budget may drive you to other alternatives.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Since you are a middle of the road guy, just re-read David's post above, get a quarter out of your pocket. Heads is DT-40's, tails is PT-40's. Flip it. What did you come up with?

Quite frankly you don't want to know (or buy) what's cheaper than those and, I don't think you want to go $1200-$3000 for Cambridge or Eye Magics which are at the other end of the scale. Someday... you'll be able to buy 506's or Saturns and that will open two more options but, right now, that's kinda, sorta, not exactly possible but yet... it IS possible, kinda, sorta in an odd sort of way, maybe. I think. I could be wrong but, perhaps maybe not. But... it's hard to tell. Someday though!

Dunno what the problem is Brad, I've got 5 sets here...
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

But you're special.

"but yet... it IS possible, kinda, sorta in an odd sort of way, maybe."

I'm holding out for the retail box... with amps... order it and get it in two days... your dealer has it in stock... product.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 12-17-2014 at 10:48.

But you're special.

"Sheshul" I think that is...
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

You ARE special! I'm special. We're all special and kinda unique, mostly. Brad is right. The 506's are available and with Steve's amps or conversions of other third party amps you can get these, but it's still a little unresolved at this point. Personally, I prefer this dribbs and drabs approach with this release as opposed to nothing at all until the shinny box with the one use Allen key ships...next year. Also, what is the actual cost of a set of the 506's in either aperture with a set of amps and cables? I would add say $60 for a middle quality power supply and then compare this with the alternatives. Quality wise I would give it to the 506s in the lower price range.

Your Saturns actually came to mind as I was typing.

Yes, you can jump through a few hoops and get in line behind some huge commercial orders and get 506's and then get an amp from a forum member or send something to Bill to work on in the middle of the night and they will probably far outperform DT's, PT's and likely be cheaper. They'll be worth the wait. You said you hoped to order this week though. DT's and PT's can be on your doorstep by the weekend. 506's not so much.