Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big 2015 Project

Yep, divergence serves to blend the beam, so its a good thing in this case.
    One downside i've found with multi-single mode modules is when using safetyScan lenses. The stacked beams get spread and it looks like one of those cheap LED lighting fixtures with the dots. In those situations a cubed multi mode setup wins, but I guess you're not going to be crowd scanning too much with 5W of power anyway.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Andy,
    I LOVE IT. Thanks for sharing a new project. There has been a real dearth of really new designs and big projects. If you are not guarding your new mirror design for some reason other than your concern about its performance and if you are, that is perfectly OK, but if you are not please share it so that you can get feed back and others may get excited about implementing it as well.

I think the debate about single mode and multimode is not necessary at this point. The mechanical layout could allow you or anyone else to use either diode with the tradeoff being power vs beam quality. If the design allows for 30 diodes then the high power, multi-mode version with P73s or the 1W Oclaros which are likely to appear by February (Photonics West) would be a larger beam with 30 W. Personally, I think a well corrected, red multimode with spatial filtering produces a very nice beam. My red modules are better than the commercial Kvant modules, but of course the construction time involved is a cost and I don't sell my modules.

Try getting 5W of red in a nice tight clean beam with multi mode diodes, good luck...
    I have.

Furthermore, imagine putting 30, 9mm 445 diodes in that assembly; 60-90W of blue. Imagine what that statement would have sounded like in the days of the $3,000, several hundred mW, DPSS blues.

Andy so impressive, thanks for share
    Just over paper, I'm frying my head trying to arrange 8 mitsu 500mw with a beam @5mm aprox...but I think is not possible (I'm going 7-8mm beam)
    Unfortunately, It seems limit for multimode @4-5mm beam is a quad, id stacking 2 pairs + PBS for a 4x4mm aprox output.
    Is that correct?
    Am I missing something?

Hi PLanters,
    HAve you achieved 5W with mitsu multimode?
    Well, in my calculations, it is possible with a mitsu Octo, but at 7-8mm beam.... and easily 4-5mm on quads
    so please, could you share beam specs of your 5W multimode red?
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Andy,
    I LOVE IT. Thanks for sharing a new project. There has been a real dearth of really new designs and big projects. If you are not guarding your new mirror design for some reason other than your concern about its performance and if you are, that is perfectly OK, but if you are not please share it so that you can get feed back and others may get excited about implementing it as well.

I think the debate about single mode and multimode is not necessary at this point. The mechanical layout could allow you or anyone else to use either diode with the tradeoff being power vs beam quality. If the design allows for 30 diodes then the high power, multi-mode version with P73s or the 1W Oclaros which are likely to appear by February (Photonics West) would be a larger beam with 30 W. Personally, I think a well corrected, red multimode with spatial filtering produces a very nice beam. My red modules are better than the commercial Kvant modules, but of course the construction time involved is a cost and I don't sell my modules.

I have.

Furthermore, imagine putting 30, 9mm 445 diodes in that assembly; 60-90W of blue. Imagine what that statement would have sounded like in the days of the $3,000, several hundred mW, DPSS blues.

I produce 4.8W net after all the optics and filters from 4, P73 diodes. They are cooled to -35C, run (if memory serves) at 1.2A and each produce about 1.3W raw. The exit beam is 5x5mm and the divergence is less than 1mrad. I think it is 1mrad by 0.6 mrad (and that is full angle not 1/2 angle...take that Kvant!). The cooling causes the color to shift to about 625nm and so they appear significantly brighter than the same power at 638nm.

My post is not to put down Andy's project. He is designing an assembly. He is not responsible for the design and manufacturing of the available diodes. My point is that if you use his assembly with 30 single modes you will get the best beam possible with 30 diodes and if you use 30 multi-modes you WILL GET a lower quality beam, there is no doubt about it, but you will get more power.
    Last edited by planters; 12-19-2014 at 04:01.

thanks

im sure you can get big power from multi mode reds if you hard cool and hard driver them. but im sticking with not over driving and not hard cooling just keeping everything at spec and nice and simple

re mirror mounts -

have you seen the top adjustable mirror mounts from the likes of Newport and thorlabs? well im doing that but micro mirror mount style, the whole mirror mount measures 25mm L by 14mm W and height is adjustable from 20mm odd.

the big space killer with multi diode builds like the arctos style one is leaving room behind each mirror mount to get an allen key in, well with my top adjustable ones you don't need to. they have springs and ball bearings in and two m2 grub screws facing up to adjust x and y. so you can really bunch things up between rows of diodes.

its taken a fair amount of brain power (which I lack) and design time in CAD but think im finally there, I just need to find some time to machine one

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Andy,

I have.

Last edited by andy_con; 12-19-2014 at 04:12.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Ok, so its an over-drived quad...still thinking setups on how-to arrange 8 p73 on a say, 5mm beam, perhaps not possible
    thanks Eric!

I have had a conversation with a UK member about combining 8 multi mode reds into a 5mm by 5mm beam. but that's probably another topic or conversation for another time in another thread

Quote Originally Posted by jors View Post
    Andy so impressive, thanks for share
    Just over paper, I'm frying my head trying to arrange 8 mitsu 500mw with a beam @5mm aprox...but I think is not possible (I'm going 7-8mm beam)
    Unfortunately, It seems limit for multimode @4-5mm beam is a quad, id stacking 2 pairs + PBS for a 4x4mm aprox output.
    Is that correct?
    Am I missing something?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy, top adjustable mirror mount at small footprint could be so incredible!! hope it goes well & good luck

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    thanks

im sure you can get big power from multi mode reds if you hard cool and hard driver them. but im sticking with not over driving and not hard cooling just keeping everything at spec and nice and simple

re mirror mounts -

have you seen the top adjustable mirror mounts from the likes of Newport and thorlabs? well im doing that but micro mirror mount style, the whole mirror mount measures 25mm L by 14mm W and height is adjustable from 20mm odd.

the big space killer with multi diode builds like the arctos style one is leaving room behind each mirror mount to get an allen key in, well with my top adjustable ones you don't need to. they have springs and ball bearings in and two m2 grub screws facing up to adjust x and y. so you can really bunch things up between rows of diodes.

its taken a fair amount of brain power (which I lack) and design time in CAD but think im finally there, I just need to find one time to machine one

Andy,
    Sorry off topic, but could you please share info about? or by pm? Really interested, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    I have had a conversation with a UK member about combining 8 multi mode reds into a 5mm by 5mm beam. but that's probably another topic or conversation for another time in another thread