Thread: face palm moment

Default face palm moment

so earler today i found my self trying to get the infrared filters that had failed epoxy, so i took the assembly out of the laser an soaked in my favorite toxic solvent Toluene, after a while the first one failed, it cracked so i let the second one soak longer and to my luck it popped of with little effort and started the task of removing and buffing the bad glue off, i taped the 5mm x5mm smurf colored filter on sticky tape so i would not lose it, after a successful buff i moved it to clean tape and to a clean buffer wheel for the dremel but the filter was gone, i looked high and low and being a mild horder this took some time and taking my recliner apart, cleaning the floor, the chair net to this one, still no little filter glass. so about 4 hours go by and my trash bag is full and i found all kinds of things that whent missing into the chair. I even inlisted the help of a friend to give me motivational jokes and other things around the house, about 4 hours have now passed and i moved on to another project and happened to notice a bandaid on my arm now had a little blue square in the middle, after exerting the effort some spend on trying to find big foot my little filter was with me the whole time. all that effort, all of that cleaning and it was with me the whole time clung to my arm. oh well i can at lest see my floor now, one down and 2 to go. i think when i get new filters i will just tape them to my self, they will be safer

What were the filters stuck to originally?
    I've always found heat is the best way to remove mirrors and dichros from metal mounts, by gently and progressively heating the metal.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

they where bonded to the glass output lens, that assembly is then glued to a small aluminum tube. heat seemed to not work but i may have not used enough

The best epoxy remover I have used is methylene chloride (paint stripper) I have yet see it attack a coating or metal. The gel form is nice. Just put the part, completely submersed, in the stuff for about an hour and it turns the epoxy to jelly. If the epoxy is covering a large surface with only a thin line exposed then a few hours generally allows it to work its way in.

What were you doing in the recliner? Just asking.

right now my work bench if too cluttered to use to i tend to fix things on a tray i put on my lap in my recliner, it usually works ok for smaller stuff, i even have my computer hat the recliner with a pole bolted to the floor with two computer monitors attached to it, i made the aluminum base my self and the stainless steel post used was once on a heart lung bypass machine that was scrapped out. I do use methylene chloride but i am currently out of it, other then fireworks suppliers like skylighter i don't know where to get it locally in quantities i use. it's great for solvent welding plastics too. will the methylene chloride effect the anti reflective coatings on the optics?
    i now have the methylene chloride on order, aside from two fireworks chem suppliers i font know of any other way of getting it aside from very small bottles at a hobby shop, it was hell just being able to to buy things from that company, i had to send them a image of my drivers license , they don't want people just ordering stuff for just m80s, making fireworks is another hobby of mine, one type of rocket i make has people interested and liking them when i do small scale shows, i am wondering how to work lasers into the mix now. i do put a charge at the top so they explode at the peak of there height, the problem is the aluminum i use is only allowed in small amounts, one pound per order and 2 pounds total for the year but at the rate i use it a pound may last 2 years, that's the fuel in fire crackers and all the way up the chain to titanium salutes for huge displays done at the 4th, i have too many hobbies and thats why i cant use my bench for electronics right now
    Last edited by Draco; 12-26-2014 at 05:44.