Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iShow3.0(not update from iShow2.3, it is a completely new software)

Is the reaction to this relative to when a consumer gets ripped off by a manufacturer ?

LOL. This product announcement thread certainly didn't go as well as the OP intended. Bill, previously you said you had some sort of arrangement with the iShow folks when someone found a mention of QuickShow in the iShow About box. Can you discuss that? It seems like they took it a step further to try to imitate Quickshow in the new release.

Playing devil's advocate (as I'm prone to do) a couple of things to note.

1st. This is a trial piece of software (as declared) and as such is likely to be disabled in some features (could this be the reason for the errors).

2nd. All the cues that 'look' like they are from quickshow are all ones used in IshowII yet I haven't seen any posts relating to those 'cues' being ripped off. In fact the ones in Ishow have been there for a number of years. I would have expected any lawsuits to have been implemented by now if there was a problem (Bill, I have to believe you have looked at IshowII and would have taken action if it was required).

3rd. As far as 'workspace' is concerned, LSX, Wetnoodle, Mamba Elements (I'm sure I could go on), all use a cue system of one type or another (so did IshowII but it wasn't great) so who started the trend? Ok, it might have been a bit ill advised to call it 'workspace' but using the same principle of operation is nothing new and certainly not exclusive to Pangolin (QS also uses the keyboard keys to select cues but this is not a feature of IshowIII).

IshowII has long been put down as inadequate. It would seem the current rights owners have listened to us and are endeavouring to make a new version that appears to take our gripes about IshowII and rectify the issues.

For my input, yes the editor is not functioning as the supplied manual leads you to believe it should and the visible cursor icon doesn't seem to line up with the actual cursor location in the editing window. If this is not as a result of disabled features then it does indeed need looking at.
    The installation comes with the install file for .Net Framework 4 for Windows 7 (apparently Win8 doesn't need it). When attempting to install it, the install program reports I already have a higher version installed. The question then is, does IshowIII work with the higher version of .Net Framework? Could this be the problem with trying to use the editor?

I for one applaud Xinyulaser for starting this project and wish them every success with it.
    Last edited by WolfMax; 12-23-2014 at 12:42.
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMax View Post
    3rd. As far as 'workspace' is concerned, LSX, Wetnoodle, Mamba Elements (I'm sure I could go on), all use a cue system of one type or another (so did IshowII but it wasn't great) so who started the trend? Ok, it might have been a bit ill advised to call it 'workspace' but using the same principle of operation is nothing new and certainly not exclusive to Pangolin (QS also uses the keyboard keys to select cues but this is not a feature of IshowIII).
    yes, and this is the same methodology use for all non-linear editing systems everywhere.

a repository of clips/cues/effects and a timeline. been around since the 70's and nothing unique to pangolin, or any other laser show package.

the supplied content is a little more troubling. it would surprise me if all non-pd content was licensed. as someone who spends way too many hours making laser shows, that bothers me... hugely.

i love the idea of more software/hardware vendors stepping up and providing users with choices, but the impression that xinyulaser distributing stolen content is difficult to embrace.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Well if the content is stolen then I agree whole heartedly. But as it has been used in IshowII since it's first production, is it stolen? If so, why did nobody do anything about it then?
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

Hey Collin I think it's because there is no mention of the developers anywhere. The "developers" don't seem to sell the software directly but through other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Hey Collin I think it's because there is no mention of the developers anywhere. The "developers" don't seem to sell the software directly but through other companies.
    Are you talking about IshowII or III?
    Cheers

Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMax View Post
    Are you talking about IshowII or III?
    Both sad to say.. at least so far I haven't been able to find anything.
    What I have heard though is at some place you can grab the source code of Ishow.
    It's gona be really difficult to sue who you can't find and I think this has been the problem ever since Ishow.. I'm sure if they would know who actually made and distributed it *source wise* They would have sued already.

Let's back up a bit. Months ago there was a thread where someone said the iShow Help->About box said that it was called Quickshow or something like that. Bill chimed in that it must be a misunderstanding because he had been in contact with the developers and that they were supposed to be mentioning Quickshow as something that could be used to upgrade to, or something like that. I'm pretty sure he also said that someone who either worked on the iShow software or device firmware had actually worked with or for Pangolin at some time. So, something doesn't jive here. It isn't my business and I don't really care what the details are but it seems odd that months ago it was stated that Pangolin was aware of the iShow developers and had been in discussions with them at least on some level and now they have no idea who the developers are and want to sue them for distributing frames. I acknowledge I don't know all of the facts so I am probably missing a lot of the pieces to the puzzle but I don't think this is simply a case of not knowing who to sue. More than likely, it is a case of not having enough resources and power to reach into China and do anything.