Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My latest project

Very nice! Always a pleasure to see your work!

- Jonathan

Great to see the finished project! I can't wait to see it Nwlem 2015... I know the gears are turning to make it happen. It would be good to pick your brain on the choice of dc to dc converters.

Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I am looking forward to the next NWLEM, I will bring this projector and some other goodies with me.
    It will be great seeing you laser enthusiasts and your toys

Brian

Hi Laserbiker!
    Nice build!
    I am also thinking to obtain +/-24V from a single 12V DC source, due my entire projector runs at 12V.
    So, please could you share info/schematics about "ESR polymer & ceramic capacitors"? I've looked at S24DE12001NDFA info PDF but is too techy for me
    Also, Do you think 1,25A is enough? I've read that scanners may peak higher than 2,5A, also converter is running FULL LOAD, so think it gets very hot... isn't it?
    Many thanks!
    Jordi
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	378.5 KB 
ID:	45836

Quote Originally Posted by laserbiker View Post
    Neutrino
    For the scanners I use use two Delta Electronics S24DE12001NDFA Isolated.
    Each one will output 24 vdc at 1.25A Which run the 506 scanners perfectly well.

It is important to bypass the inputs and output of each converter with appropriate low ESR polymer and
    stacked ceramic capacitors. These power supplies are the smallest 1" X 1" and most efficient that can be had
    at this time Price of $42.00 from Digikey (digikey part # 941-1597-ND)

Not likely to find a drone big enough to carry this puppy...It weighs 15 LBS!
    Last edited by jors; 12-29-2014 at 04:59.

Is what I'm reading here correct? The S24DE12001NDFA can turn a 9 to 36v input source to 12volt differential (doesn't say 24volts) ? That is lovely!!
    I wonder if there is a higher amperage variant thogh I prefer having at least 2 amps on each differential end.

edit: nvm I'm stupid.. you tie the 2 12 volt outputs of each differential end from both IC's together to get the 24 volts at the same amperage.
    Clever!!
    Last edited by masterpj; 12-29-2014 at 04:33.

Well, the converter is ±12V dual output. If we wire +12 and -12 (leave common alone) I suppose we can obtain single 24V DC from each converter. So, ±24V with two converters.
    I suppose the wiring is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	45837

Please Laserbiker, correct me if I'm wrong.
    However, have no info about external capacitors...filters this is why asked for help

Oh sorry, + & - on 24v output are inverted on my picture... left 24V should be "+" and right 24V "-"

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Is what I'm reading here correct? The S24DE12001NDFA can turn a 9 to 36v input source to 12volt differential (doesn't say 24volts) ? That is lovely!!
    I wonder if there is a higher amperage variant thogh I prefer having at least 2 amps on each differential end.

edit: nvm I'm stupid.. you tie the 2 12 volt outputs of each differential end from both IC's together to get the 24 volts at the same amperage.
    Clever!!
    Last edited by jors; 12-29-2014 at 04:56.

Quite an expensive IC $37+ each and not easy to get in europe.. digikey has steep shipping to motivate you to order more.

However...I've ordered many times on digikey for Europe with no problems
    Here's another option from farnell. Tracopower... we can obtain 24V @1,8A from each converter...but it is more expensive .. INPUT 9-18V out: dual 12v
    http://es.farnell.com/tracopower/ten...-8a/dp/2080676
    any more sources/options?

Quite an expensive IC $37+ each and not easy to get in europe.. digikey has steep shipping to motivate you to order more.

I have had little luck finding DC/DC converters providing any decent wattage output. It all seems to be in the microamp/miliamp range at best. The microamp one cost about $8. I wouldn't mind the dc converters to being a tad larger.. so far the only alternative would be dual rail power supplies.. but even those can be a pain to find sometimes. I guess with everyone wanting all single rail powered equipment this is a reason why these components cost so much. Alternatives are always welcome this is where I got stuck with on my portable build.. the differential supplier.

I did make the simplest circuit with a virtual ground but it got unbalanced so quickly that it was unusable for being a scanner power supply.
    Maybe the op-amp one could work.. I don't know.
    http://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html

And going to the other side... what about 2 of these adjusted at 24V?:
    http://www.banggood.com/3A-LM2577-DC...e-p-87541.html
    Could they work? these are really cheap

Last edited by jors; 12-29-2014 at 05:49.