Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Discoscan 2.0

Default Pangolin Discoscan 2.0

I have just seen the official launch video for the Discoscan 2.0 lens and thought I'd start a thread regarding it's capabilities and technical what-nots.
    I've not been able to find tech specs online so maybe Bill can share them here?

It looks really good from the video, although I'm keen to see what any chromatic aberrations look like with graphics near the edge of the lens.

How severe is beam divergence with this lens and is there a way of minimising this in set up or projector design? I know little about optics - just enough to know that some very clever people can do some amazing things with lens design!

I'm also interested in knowing the optimal distance from scanners to lens and what input angle is required to gain 360 degree scanning.

Has anyone at PL have one of these lenses?

Thanks

Keith
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    How severe is beam divergence with this lens and is there a way of minimising this in set up or projector design?
    I'm also interested in knowing the optimal distance from scanners to lens and what input angle is required to gain 360 degree scanning.

x
    I don't exactly have the discoscan but have used a fisheye lens a few times for a wider angle.
    You want the lens assembly to be as close as to the 2 scanner mirrors as you possibly can.. it will do a LOT in terms of performance and max angle achievable with these lenses.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

I have just seen the official launch video for the Discoscan 2.0 lens and thought I'd start a thread regarding it's capabilities and technical what-nots.
    i hope you turned the audio off.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bill showed these off at SELEM this past year. IRC the DS2.0 showed less chromatic aberration at the edges than the previous DS, but the DS2.0 didn't provide as large of an angle as the previous version. I believe that someone (dkumpula???) recorded video of Bill's presentation, which would be a better source of information than my swiss cheese memory machine.

-Sal

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I have one, I'll post pics late tonight.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    Bill showed these off at SELEM this past year. IRC the DS2.0 showed less chromatic aberration at the edges than the previous DS, but the DS2.0 didn't provide as large of an angle as the previous version. I believe that someone (dkumpula???) recorded video of Bill's presentation, which would be a better source of information than my swiss cheese memory machine.

-Sal
    The DS2.0 from what I heard sacrificed a little bit of the max angle for more tolerance of distance from the scanner mirror and less of an increase in beam divergence and cost has dropped too I believe because they wanted to stimulate the sales of the DS2.0 and make it more common then the DS1.0 was

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    I don't exactly have the discoscan but have used a fisheye lens a few times for a wider angle.
    You want the lens assembly to be as close as to the 2 scanner mirrors as you possibly can.. it will do a LOT in terms of performance and max angle achievable with these lenses.
    Thanks PJ

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i hope you turned the audio off.
    I wish you had warned me BEFORE I watched it!

Thanks Sal - I'll pop into the chatroom and see if he's got it

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

I wish you had warned me BEFORE I watched it!
    sorry. i was too busy bleeding from the ears!

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Note there there should be me a more visible amount of beam seperation when you project at its widest...
    Beam alignment needs to be very precise more so then before

And yeah I agree the "music" is rather horrible lol. Justin should hit me up next time I got some producers who would love to make their track available for their promotional video like: https://soundcloud.com/volantmusic/mondaynight without any additional licensing fees. Good friends with him and his manager.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Note there there should be me a more visible amount of beam seperation when you project at its widest...
    Beam alignment needs to be very precise more so then before
    Thanks PJ. Yeah, I'm hoping I'll get that right. I'm doing single mode build and am getting the most accurate mounts I can afford!