Thread: Beyond Masking Help

Default Beyond Masking Help

Hi,

I'm having an issue with Beyond masking in a show.

Was something I was doing originally for a friend's wedding as a bit of a gift, then when it became apparent the DJ wouldn't be able to display it anyway, I thought I'd give it away to everyone as a freebie when finished.

So what I have basically is a timeline with 2 cues arranged 1 above the other.

The following screenshot is of a simple mock up I created to experiment with using random cues from the workspace.

What I'm attempting to do is mask the graphics so that the lower graphic "sits behind" the upper graphic, - in the case of the example random test timeline, that would be the question marks siting behind the Christmas hat.

I've selected the Upper Cue and in Events > Masking ticked "Create a Blanked Inside Mask" and in the "Response" section ticked "Blank points that Lie Inside".

The question marks still overlay the hat.

I had a try mirroring the above and playing with the settings in the lower cue but can't make one sit behind the other. I'm sure it's something simple, but as I rarely go anywhere near graphics, it has me stuck at the moment.

I tried to catch a word with someone at Pangolin, but I'm sure they're all busy with more important stuff atm.

Screenshot below of the random test timeline:

Any help appreciated and met with 3 hail Marys and a Merry Christmas!

I don`t have beyond myself so its only a guess but, could the mask response be set on the other frame. I would have though the other frame would then react to a mask created on another frame in the timeline.

As I say, just a guess.

Does the classic masking work?
    I think you are doing it wrong as well as yes the top layer selected gets blanked inside
    Then you click the other one and have frame is not used to create a mask ticked
    Then Blank points that lie on blanked inside on just that one cue.

Something tells me you applied the settings to either only one or double so both things are a mask and basically they then get added together and mask nothing

@ LaserImpact, thank you for the suggestion. I tried it but it didn't work.

I did copy settings from a previous version that did work, and I came up with these settings for the lower cue (still doesn't work here though):

Hi PJ,

Just tried the above settings with Classic Masking, no joy.

Beyond Build is 680 btw.

Hey White light

Swap the layers around, so the layer you want in front is for example track 1 and the background layer would be track 2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beyond layers.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	45813

Seems backwards in my opinion, maybe a bug
    Last edited by loopee; 12-24-2014 at 17:57.
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Loopee,

Thanks for the suggestion. The top graphic is the one I want on top. However, there are 3 tracks with graphics on at this point (only 2 show) and the 2nd graphic was on the 3rd track, so I created another track and brought it up to below the 1st graphic with a Track called 1.5 (following on from 1 obviously) with the graphic cut from the lower track and pasted here.

Still no joy unfortunately.

The track order can be seen here:

The current masking settings are:

Top Track:

2nd Track:

Wow. Amazing service from Pangolin.

Told Alexey not to worry about this until after the holidays and he solves it for me on Christmas Day!!!!

Anyway, posting the solution here:

The issue is caused by the open nature of the top cue. ie it's not a completely sealed shape.

As such, the direction arrows come into play. By un-ticking all the arrows except "Top" because the question Marks were coming from the top direction, it now masks correctly.

Many thanks to Pangolin for support above and beyond the call of duty.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that makes sense.. and excellent support!

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Wow. Amazing service from Pangolin.

Told Alexey not to worry about this until after the holidays and he solves it for me on Christmas Day!!!!

Anyway, posting the solution here:

The issue is caused by the open nature of the top cue. ie it's not a completely sealed shape.

As such, the direction arrows come into play. By un-ticking all the arrows except "Top" because the question Marks were coming from the top direction, it now masks correctly.

Many thanks to Pangolin for support above and beyond the call of duty.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.