Thread: infared filters, orth restoring or not

Default infared filters, orth restoring or not

I have 4 lower power crystalaser GCL series laser that have had the epoxy bond fail where the infrared filter is bonded with the last lens, i can remove the filter and clean the epoxy off but i was wondering if that poses a risk and i should reglue the filter back in?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    I have 4 lower power crystalaser GCL series laser that have had the epoxy bond fail where the infrared filter is bonded with the last lens, i can remove the filter and clean the epoxy off but i was wondering if that poses a risk and i should reglue the filter back in?
    the 808/1064nm light that will leak without an IR filter is quite eye hazardous. you should absolutely re-glue the filter.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

do i need any special type of glue or epoxy? I know some can yellow, i am thinking of using a technique that was used at a company i worked at buy putting the mixed epoxy under high vacuum to remove bubbles , might be over kill but i always love an excuse to fire up the vacuum pump. I will warn a friend of mine that does have one with out the filter, by chance do you know where i could get a ir filter at, the one my friend has i lost, i think it's just a few mm square

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    do i need any special type of glue or epoxy? I know some can yellow, i am thinking of using a technique that was used at a company i worked at buy putting the mixed epoxy under high vacuum to remove bubbles , might be over kill but i always love an excuse to fire up the vacuum pump. I will warn a friend of mine that does have one with out the filter, by chance do you know where i could get a ir filter at, the one my friend has i lost, i think it's just a few mm square
    Try Mr. David Wu at Lasver; I bought several filters from them and they are good and inexpensive.
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

i am not having any luck with the term lasver, it seems to come up with an unrelated site? trade key? i hope i got the message off, i am trying a solvent to pull one filter loose with out busting it

Probably Lasever - http://www.lasever.com/

thanks that link worked great, my next question, on my lasers the filter was glued to the output lens, does the replacement need the exact same method or could i mount it in a diffrent spot, i am having difficulty finding 5mm x5mm? i had gotten one off cleaned all nice and then lost the damn thing

the reason that just came to mind is on these crystalaser there is a tube or barrel that has the output coupler on the far end with the ir filter glued to it, the other end is just open with lots of clearance, if i could put the ir filter at the open end it could be larger and just glued in at the edges

I recall the IR filter being at the far end of the DPSS modules to avoid any reflection within the module to be blocked and also stay in the module.
    If you are looking for IR filters there are some sold cheap on ebay. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11050...AQ%3AUS%3A1123

Please make sure you have proper IR protective glasses.
    I got mine from: http://www.dragonlasers.com/Laser-Safety-Glasses.html
    LSG08. Their pictures are outdated their newer glasses look and are so much better and shroud your eyes properly.

Test the safety glasses by putting a camera behind an eyepiece on a mount/stand.. facing the module.. turn on the projector remotely with an extension cord having nobody in that other room and see if the camera picks anything up.. no light being transmitted on the video is not a definitive but a more guarantee the safety glasses are doing its job (as there are always fakes out there).
    Last edited by masterpj; 12-22-2014 at 20:58.

thanks for the info, thankfully i do have and wear glasses for IR I have a class 4 diode laser and always wear them when the cover is off the other lasers, they throw off IR all over with out the cover on, i do need a pair for 532nm. thanks for the links, the cost on the glasses from dragon lasers is awesome, looks like i know what my x-mass gift will be
    Last edited by Draco; 12-23-2014 at 03:48.