Thread: cutting mirrors

Default cutting mirrors

I was wondering if it's practical to cut mirrors my self or just buy smaller mirrors? also how would i go about cutting the glass? this would hopefully apply to filters as well?

You can cut your own mirrors but expect some breakage loss until you get some practice. I have had good results with a common wheeled glass cutter and with a carbide scribe. The trick is getting a clean break after scribing. Practice on some scraps. In the old days, I would by large thick broadband mirrors from Newport and have them sliced thin and sectioned with a diamond saw to make high power scanner mirrors. Now it's probably cheaper and easier to buy available optics. If you come across some windows, mirrors, filters or splitters on tempered glass substrates, you will never get a clean break. Good luck!

Don't buy a cheap glass cutter. A $4.99 glass cutter is going to give you nothing but grief. Get a good wheeled one with a lube reservoir. For lube, we used to use ATF. Worked like a charm. There are probably some good videos on YouTube to check out for cutting techniques.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I use a cheap cutter and have had good results so far. Remember, you are only creating a weak point for it to snap along, not actually trying to cut it. I use a steel rule to scribe along and then place the piece on top and press it over the edge to break.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

... I've saved (cut out with a laser) some of the tungsten carbide bits of a new broken disk saw - they are really sharp and I can scrap deep grooves into the glass (from both sides for thick sheets), what's helping a lot ...

Viktor

Wetting the glass (I use alcohol) creates a weak point in the grooves and helps snap easier.

This is one of the better threads discussing the topic of cutting mirrors:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...utting+mirrors

thanks for the info and the other thread, what i did for mine as an experiment is cover the reflective part in kapton tape then gorilla tape then on the back side use the dremel with a cutting wheel, i need to the glass to fracture along the score line i made with the dremel, total experiment but did give me the mirrors i wanted and the unwanted bits stay with the tape