Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pangolin Quickshow -VS- Phoenix (now Pangolin Phoenix)

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Personally, after having seen the demonstration, I have no desire to mess with the settings.

Adam
    Thank you Adam,
    I don't want modified the software, because this software is good performance for me.
    I like to learn and maximize the use QS capabilities. Higher level QS tips than simple tutorial videos.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by whiteg View Post
    I like to learn and maximize the use QS capabilities. Higher level QS tips than simple tutorial videos.
    I see. I suggest you send an e-mail to Bill Benner directly, using the E-mail contact page on the Pangolin website, and ask him specific questions about making hotter beams when using Quickshow.

I know there was a means of editing QS cues to get brighter beams, but it was considered an advanced technique, and thus was not documented in any of the help files. However, I'm sure Bill would be willing to share that with you, and possibly some other advanced features as well.

Adam

PS: Gary, thanks for the suggestion. The .pdf from Cambridge was quite informative, and I enjoyed reading it.

I happen to know Bill's away atm, as I tried contacting him, so I suggest Alexey as a point of contact.

I can't personally answer your point on beam creation because I never really approached it from a hand drawn perspective. I know there are quick commands to create beam points and even Hot Beam points, but what they are, I don't know. Some caution needed here with experimentation as you could confuse one or the other with pure discovery. Maybe someone who draws by hand will know. PJ might, but he's more graphics than beams. Dimmers created a lot of beam cues and might know. I'm sure others will.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post

" The fact is that our drawing program does offer the ability to "place a beam" instead of "place a dot". If you hold CTRL while you click a dot, the drawing program will "place a beam", and this is indicated with a kind of icon that appears in the drawing window. Then you'll get something much brighter!
    Can you tell me someone how many the difference between power simple dot and Ctrl+ dot, in the Quickshow? (Half power / full power or %?)

I think ctrl makes it create 100 points at the dot.
    Iirc, if you place a single point but set the 'minimum points' setting to a high value it will make all the points on that dot. A few ways to achieve it
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I'm not 100% sure that's right Norty.

I was reluctant to post this earlier as I'm not 100% sure myself, but I think 1 point (or dot) = graphic point or beam point = 100% brightness. 2 points or more (typically 2 is used but not necessarily) = Hot Beam - presuming it's linear, 2 points would be 200% brightness.

Now in terms of power, I don't think you can frame it in those terms. eg unless it's been restricted you can create a Hot Beam with any number of points eg 10 or 20. I have some extra hot beams I created with 20 points when playing around for a show where I wanted real Hot Beam impact. However, they stopped working a few builds ago so whether it's a glitch or a safety restriction, I'm not sure. I also, haven't tried them for several builds as I rarely have the projector out, typically once or twice a year atm! So that could have changed again and they may be re-working.

However, the point I was trying to make is you can make a Hot Beam very point heavy but obviously you can't exceed the given laser power. I believe what's happening is the more points you add, the more times per second its scanned and thus the less off time in any interval of time so = more persistence / eye saturation, so = greater brightness. I don't think the lasers ever at less than 100% power unless you BAM it. There's simply more scans in a given time interval the more points you add.

Obviously Pangolin could confirm or deny it. As I said, I'm not 100% sure as I don't tend to draw anything.

Maybe it's a case of points in the dot versus minimum points.
    E.g. If you have minimum points at 300 and create a single dot with 100 points it'll only be on for a third of the time
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Maybe can you measure it the laser power single dot. How many mw?
    And can you measure it Ctrl+ dot. How many mw?
    We will see the difference, but I don't have laser power meter.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteg View Post
    Maybe can you measure it the laser power single dot. How many mw?
    And can you measure it Ctrl+ dot. How many mw?
    We will see the difference, but I don't have laser power meter.
    Wouldn't the power measurement show an increase in any event?

Never done it as my meter is only safely usable when bam'ed and this is beyond my knowledge but isn't CW measurement a measurement of power in a given interval as well? (Hence why a pulsed laser measures so low using a CW meter as although the power spike is high the amount of off time in the measured interval is comparatively large giving a much lower measured average than the reality of the actual beam power).

So I presume therefore, if you put more points and thus more "on time" in a given interval, the amount of irradiation in Joules is increased (by virtue of "on time" not power), and thus the amount of heating of retinas (and meter sensors), is increased in any given interval (presuming of course for measurement purposes the occurrences all fit in the measured average interval), and so the measured power is increased.

Just speculation but I'm sure someone like Steve can give us the low down on power measurement vs points.