Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanted Coherent Compass 315m or similar for Holography. In UK

The lasers on it's way and I have my tracking number. All good.
    I must say I'm looking forward to building it on to some nice heat sinks and and having a play. I currently have an unopened box of 20 Colour Holographic BB520 plates so I best try and make something beautiful to justify to the missus the money I'm spending. I'm still learning so probably a few more "Porcelain Cats"

Thanks to everyone that chipped in to the thread. Most helpful

Thank you
    Grayham

Would I be correct in assuming the BB520 plates are 5" x 4"? If so, i'd be inclined to cut a few of them into quarters so you don't waste as much whilst learning and getting the exposures right. I have to confess that I didn't do this and I wasted quite a number of plates .

Did you buy the plates recently?, I thought ColourHolographics had stopped selling them. If the plates are over 12 months old you can make them more sensitive by giving them a soak in 5% Triethanolamine (TEA) solution and then washing it out and drying prior to exposure.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem

The plates came delivered just after Xmas. They are 2.5" x 2.5" and are still available as are other sizes. They work out at £66.80 including VAT and delivery. I must say I went through about 30 plates getting my exposures and chemistry correct but I did produce a couple of good holograms. 10 of those plates they gave to me foc so I could get used to them and see if I liked them and I was very much appreciative of this as helped me loads.
    I found these plates really robust. I post colour shifted one hologram with different concentrations of citric acid, with squeegeeing, dried with a hair dryer and washed back out again about 20 times and it was still perfect at the end. I was quite impressed by this

I found after a few weeks they can become less sensitive and the documentation I have states this and says you can re sensitise with just water, a 3 min soak and air dry or with a 3% TEA solution. I found the water alone works fine.

I'm quite new to this so I still have lots to do work on producing bright holograms, but I do love the different colours you can produce with the citric acid post shift and if you make a mistake you can wash it out.. The next hologram is going to be planned with correctly calculated exposure times, developing times etc. I think I need to buy a shutter with the new laser

Kind Regards
    Grayham

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Would I be correct in assuming the BB520 plates are 5" x 4"? If so, i'd be inclined to cut a few of them into quarters so you don't waste as much whilst learning and getting the exposures right. I have to confess that I didn't do this and I wasted quite a number of plates .

Did you buy the plates recently?, I thought ColourHolographics had stopped selling them. If the plates are over 12 months old you can make them more sensitive by giving them a soak in 5% Triethanolamine (TEA) solution and then washing it out and drying prior to exposure.

That's great news that they are still available.

I wish you every success and hope all your holograms turn out bright.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Sam and I have 215M and 315M lasers for sale if anyone needs green holography lasers. We have from 10 mW to over 150 mW, a 200 mW Cobolt, a 400 mW Lightwave...yeah we got that.
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Just wanted to say the laser turned up well packed and in excellent condition. It all fires up and locks as it should do. Hopefully I will have it all mounted this weekend and ready to make some holograms.

Brian, thank you for getting the laser out so quickly and so well packed it's appreciated.

Grayham

That's great news Graham. Really pleased it arrived safely for you. Don't forget to post a few pictures of your first holograms.

Regards

Jem