Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FlexMod P3 Disaster

Abby Normal came from Mel Brooks' 1974 Movie, Young Frankenstein.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity6 View Post
    Abby Normal came from Mel Brooks' 1974 Movie, Young Frankenstein.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q
    Infinity6, you nailed it. That was the origin of the expression. Marty Feldman played Igor, but according to www.urbandictionary.com Cloris Leachman play the part. doah!

JasonB, thank you for providing your valuable insights on your experience on the "natural", undocumented behavior of the beam suppression feature and how you arrived at a "working relationship" with setting up this variant of the P3. There is a wealth of information in what you provided in your reply that I find invaluable.

In fact, at one point I got so frustrated I stopped using my DMM and slowly tweaked the pots while the PJ ran a test pattern, and tweaked until I got the results I wanted. Then checked LD mA with a max 5VDC modulation reference to make sure I was not exceeding the LD's max current....
    Makes sense, using a meter is probably only good for "getting you in the ballpark". There are FEW LDs with the same part number created equal, while ALL are created very,very close to "similar". In the spirit of "And now for something completely different..." I ordered and received the standard P3's as replacements. And this time "Imma gonna do-ah one ata time-ah."

Maybe if more forum users of the P3 combine their experiences, success and failures on this venue it will save Andrew from having to spend his valuable time from updating documentation allowing the price to stay where it is. It or LD drivers as a whole may almost be worth their own topic.

drm916
    Spares are a good idea.. if you can find them
    Hey, I'm on it! So far I have 3 potential spares. And since no smoke came out of any of them and the fuses are still good, I take on the challenge of replacing the parts that have been mistreated.

mixedgas, thanks. Glad to hear it.

I really appreciate hearing all of your comments. Andrew has provided an amazing low-cost,versatile LD driver and I'm glad to have them available to me.

I was looking at them my self and i have seen them in home brew controllers and i think i am sold on it, converting laser pointers into continuous service has taught me that the onboard controllers realy suck, 2/10ths of a volt over from the supply side and they burn, i never took into account that battery voltage sags just a little bit and in the case of one of my disasters that the control depends on that dip in voltage. Thanks for the info on that movie, i had never seen it all the way though
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Thought I was post a closing note of success to this post, as today I successfully set the threshold and operating current on three standard FlexMod P3's for each of the DTR Bundle (RGB) diodes. Now I can get on with the rest of it. (yea)
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 01-19-2015 at 15:31.