Thread: Analog abstracts using modular synth

Default Analog abstracts using modular synth

I just finally got all the pieces together for my all-analog, abstract image synth together and got this first demo up and going:

This is using LFO modules in the Eurorack format of modular synthesizers to create the scanning images and modulating the colors, all 100% analog. I had a custom interface made to convert the control voltages from the modular synth into ILDA format and it works beautifully!
    In this video I have 2 Quadrature LFOs mixed together for the X/Y, and a separate phase distorting LFO to handle the RGB. A little messing with the frequencies of the two, and voila!

This is a very basic demo of the capabilities, I plan on much more experimentation in pursuit to create self-evolving abstract images as self contained art projects.

This looks very promising good luck with your project in the future! Nice work.

Nice.
    I wonder how many of us are here after seeing Dave Brown's laserscope on muff's?!!
    I've recently knocked up a modular to ILDA adapter myself to do the same thing but haven't had much time to try it over Christmas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141118_002.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	45888

Here's experiment #2, using separate LFOs for the red and blue modulation.

And another two, also a photo of my modular synth used in making these abstracts.

Name:	IMG_5524.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	656.5 KB 
ID:	46000
    Last edited by luxilid; 01-07-2015 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotta View Post
    Nice.
    I wonder how many of us are here after seeing Dave Brown's laserscope on muff's?!!
    I've recently knocked up a modular to ILDA adapter myself to do the same thing but haven't had much time to try it over Christmas.

Name:	WP_20141118_002.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	45888
    Have you had the chance to try out your interface yet?
    I'm interested in doing the same thing with my projectors and my Moog / Doepfer synth gear, and was wondering if any kind of buffer circuitry might be needed to protect the projector inputs.

Thanks!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

@ luxilid -

AWESOME images!!!

By chance, is the interface you built something thing that might be available (free or otherwise) as a schematic or kit?

I've managed to assemble a decent "semi modular" with my collection of Moog Little & Slim Phatty's, MoogerFoogers, and a Doepfer MIDI to CV converter, and would really like to integrate everything with my laser gear.

Preferably without blowing up anything on either side of the interface...

The possibilities sound mind-blowing cool!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

The interface was a one-off commissioned build using 10v bipolar Euro modular control voltage inputs and scaled the outputs to match ILDA electrical specs.
    I believe it has a brick wall filter at 10kHz on the X/Y inputs to help protect the scanners, but not much else going on electrically.

Nice to see som modular action here! I sometimes hook ut my Serge stuff to the lasers, you can get pretty awsome stuff going! I also experimented some with the hardware modular and MAX/MSP software, nice to record, mutate and spit it out again.

Todays fun:

Music has no relationship to the visual, just background in this one.