Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300mw pointer, fac needed?

Default 300mw pointer, fac needed?

in another thread i had posted that i damaged the laser diode, it's a pointer from about 2004 and uses a C-mount diode that i think shifted in frequency, think that's one failure mode for 808nm diodes, one question i have now is would this diode have a FAC lens on it? When i put this under magnification should i be looking for a cylindrical lens right in front, on the aperture of the diode?

I had another question, is there anyway to pass light though the optics and crystal section with out dismantling the stack of optics discs? each optic is glue to a disc and then stacked i was able to check the ktp and it looked great and was much lager then i had ever seen in a lower power laser, maby 2.5mm square, i am nervous buying a new pump diode as since i buckled a driver in my home theature money is even more tight, the laser was powered by 2 c cell batteries and dragon lasers has the housings, just no specs
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

If it's a green pointer, I doubt it has a FAC.

ok, the reason i asked when i was looking for a vendor i found both versions and confusing info, some say it needed it but of course the extra money for it
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

You probably already know this, but the 808nm pump diode in those devices produce an almost invisible red wavelength coherent light that is several watts in power and can cause permanent eye damage. While working on those you need specific wavelength blocking laser goggles or a CCD camera to observe while tinkering/ repairing. It is possible that the 808 pump diode could have a fac lens attached to it, but I don't understand this:
    is there anyway to pass light though the optics and crystal section with out dismantling the stack of optics discs?
    Can you post a picture of this optical train?

yeah i will post a pic as so as i can find my stupid camera, i do use glasses for that wave length, i use them for any dpss if i operate them open

http://s124.photobucket.com/user/dra...01642.jpg.html

i dont know why i cant get the second picture to post

Below is a typical optical arrangement for a 532nm laser pointer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green-laser-pointer-dpss-diagrams.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	46053
    All these optical components are probably glued within that cylinder in your photo. What light are you wanting to "pass through"?

i just wanted to test the path to see if anything was burned but since i was still using the devices current limit i doubt anything is damaged, i did get a look at the crystal section and i an now fairly confident thats not damaged, thank you very much for your help, i know it's just a pointer now a days but it was expensive when i got it, would a diode that shifted in wavelength be a valid theory for the reduced output? the diode is still consuming normal current and easily overages my meter, a few years ago i had a 2 watt 532nm laser that sits on a massive TEC and heat sink and later sold it and it used the high output bar type diode, it would set fire to paper but i could never get a new crystal set to work and gave up on it, being told that it shifted in wave length, the reason i am probing options is i am on a fixed income now and money is rather short, i want to use it in a home projector, no public use, i am still a long way for a compliant projector
    i just got one of the illegal pointers from china and it died in 10 min, granted only 10 bucks but still
    Last edited by Draco; 01-14-2015 at 13:52.