Thread: mode hoping on a laser sight?

Default mode hoping on a laser sight?

I have this cheapie 532nm laser pointer and i wanted to see what was inside, to my supprise it uses the same module used in laser pointers with a potenometer just begging to be "adjusted" as it was about 4mw, when i adjusted it, the output switched TEM modes, normal TEM00, then to TEM10 and then to TEM20, i have never seen a laser pointer do this? Will the higher power destory the diode or is this somthing that happens? this is at about 10mw.

and no, i am not drunk, i swear i can see it doing it when i aim close up on a black non glossy item

Yes cranking the power up will damage the crystal.. no matter how much it begs, I'd leave it alone

yeah it's getting turned back down, i just have never seen one do that
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

When you turn the current to the 808nm pump diode up it generates more heat in the crystal, thus changing the xtal characteristics and therefore modes, I believe. One of the dpss experts here may chime in and explain the physics better and in more detail. Or you could google 'reasons for mode hopping in 532nm DPSS lasers' or something like that.

Ok, i am hoping some one does then, in the end i did swap the module out of the sight with one i got from sparkfun, I also added this grey thermal compound used in tv's, rubbery so i can cool the system on say a 90 degree day at the range or plinking at cans in my yard. I kept the module intact so i can atlest show other people on how some of the other modes look like, it still does it below the rated output and of course i can't complaine about it, the seller had all of his stuff pulled from flea bay
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu