Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Management strategy

Default Management strategy

In my new job we have a majority of techs around 25 years of age. The most serious issue is one of attitude. "What ever" is a common response.

As a management team we announced at our start of year team meeting that our motto for 2015 is "What ever it takes". Wish us luck.... A few rolling eyes at the meeting.
    This space for rent.

Its not an age thing
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I think its a nice campaign theme. As the world works more towards a global workforce, arrogant types of any age should be aware that if they don't want to do their jobs, there are millions to billions of people elsewhere who would be willing to take that 'irritating job' off their hands for them.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Just for the record from somebody who used to be 25, "Whatever it takes…" isn't a management strategy. In fact it's the antithesis of a management strategy. A strategy involves something like; we're going to commit these resources to develop these advantages to achieve these goals in this measurable way, and if we fail were going to reexamine our "management strategy" and try to figure out if it was the strategy, execution, metrics, competition, or even the goals that caused the failure.

Management is among other things about goals, strategy, making TIMELY decisions, and allocating resources. And we're talking about finite resources. "Whatever it takes" is right up there with "I don't know and I don't care, just get the job done!" as far as half-witted "management strategies" go...

When someone says "we're going to do whatever it takes" - it usually means "The rest of you are going to be expected to work long hours trying to hit a moving target and "management" is going to continue to blame you for their failures."
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

well to bad i am not in your state, i could take one of there jobs, as an electronics tech there are things i hate working on but the attitude i try to maintain is basically taking each item as a chance to learn something new, i have 20 years of experience and find some employers think you may not be willing to learn something different, i try to break that every time i can. I have seen that type of "whatever" attitude from people in there 40's or older and never understood it. in our economy you cant be picky any more
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Just for the record from somebody who used to be 25, "Whatever it takes…" isn't a management strategy. In fact it's the antithesis of a management strategy. A strategy involves something like; we're going to commit these resources to develop these advantages to achieve these goals in this measurable way, and if we fail were going to reexamine our "management strategy" and try to figure out if it was the strategy, execution, metrics, competition, or even the goals that caused the failure.

Management is among other things about goals, strategy, making TIMELY decisions, and allocating resources. And we're talking about finite resources. "Whatever it takes" is right up there with "I don't know and I don't care, just get the job done!" as far as half-witted "management strategies" go...

When someone says "we're going to do whatever it takes" - it usually means "The rest of you are going to be expected to work long hours trying to hit a moving target and "management" is going to continue to blame you for their failures."
    While I agree with what you said, I think you focused too much on the title of this thread and missed the fact that this phrase was a motivational motto / phrase to help reset the tone of some younger folks who grew up in a generation that is generally less motivated to do what is necessary and instead desire to do what they want to, when they want to.

If you haven't managed Gen Y at the leadership level on a large scale and had to deal with the reality of the core business pressuring to off-shore or out-source with the hope of getting what they want for a lower cost, you aren't in a position to judge the challenge faced by today's leadership.

My (experienced) two cents.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Spot on David...........
    This space for rent.

I told the "worst" of our Gen Y problem child's "You have the freedom to be a part of the problem or a part of the solution, you chose". His response "What ever".. Indeed. I will file that saying for when he bitches about losing his job.
    This space for rent.

that is just sad, with people that don't care about anything will sink this nation, some i see want a better future and then the others that believe they are entitled to have everything now and not later, with out working for it
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

In Australia at least, the age of entitlement is over.
    This space for rent.