Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave International and their questionable Phenom claims

Can a non-varianced person use it?
    It sounds to me as if its still a laser device, regardless of what its had done to it to make it safe for crowd scanning, so should be covered by a variance, and the user/installer should have a variance as well.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Can a non-varianced person use it?
    It sounds to me as if its still a laser device, regardless of what its had done to it to make it safe for crowd scanning, so should be covered by a variance, and the user/installer should have a variance as well.
    the advertise as NO variance needed (or that is my understanding). That is what I don't understand. Seems strange to me to not need to variance for a laser product.. much less one that scans the audience.

I think it is a cool product and I am sure they have all the proper approval(s)... I just don't understand how they get around the variance issue.

Reading the blurb I don't see where it says you don't need a variance. It just says it's FDA compliant once calibrated by Lightwave, at least in the written blurb, haven't gone through the video as well.

It also says effects are stored in a media server - no doubt this is to prevent the use of hot beams or other potentially dangerous effects.

I'm guessing that's why it's rigged for DMX, so as to tie you to the pre-made effects and prevent accessibility to ILDA software effects.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Reading the blurb I don't see where it says you don't need a variance. It just says it's FDA compliant once calibrated by Lightwave, at least in the written blurb, haven't gone through the video as well.

It also says effects are stored in a media server - no doubt this is to prevent the use of hot beams or other potentially dangerous effects.

I'm guessing that's why it's rigged for DMX, so as to tie you to the pre-made effects and prevent accessibility to ILDA software effects.
    Their website says the below blurb. It seems to lead to no laser company. Which would seem it means no variance. But I cant fully tell from the blurbs either. Pretty cool either way. I wish I had some of them

"The Phenom requires no laser technician and no laser company. Anyone that can rig a light can rig a Phenom. Lightwave International's Phenom hangs, powers, and controls like the LED and arc lamp moving fixtures it replaces. Phenom's embedded media server provides endless high intensity colors and effects from a lightweight, energy efficient, and affordable fixture."

It says you don't need a laser company. It doesn't say you don't need a variance. A sound company with some lasers still needs a variance.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:30.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

One of my very first lasers was just that... a moving head laser. The Chauvet Grafexpress. I still have it but have never actually used it for anything. The funny thing is, after buying it (on ebay - used for like $400) and reading the manual, it talked about needing this "thing" from a company called Pangolin and discovered it was going to cost me like $1,500 to make this laser do some of the stuff it was supposed to do.

I couldn't believe it and couldn't imagine who in their right mind would have bought this laser and then, have spent OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS on this other device... a QM something or other. LOL My how things have changed over the past 5 years or so!

Well I think they are pretty cool. I have never used a moving head laser. I wish I could afford a few of them . Hopefully I will see them in use some time soon. I am still just a little confused by the marketing on their website though. I think I will take Karls advice and just call them this week and ask. Seems like the best way to get the info instead of the internet.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I've had LDs ask me for DMX for three years now.

When it first happened I told them they could pay for the system upgrade+ FedEx to allow it to happen if they still wanted it for that gig.

Can't do that now, but this is the trend. It also means a lot of shows on TV and at concerts are going to look VERY boring.

LDs for the most part have always hated lasers. A few years ago it was because we had far more processing power and flexibility then they did.
    >>>>>
    The Good News is WE still create the effects and assign them to cues. Bad news is they will soon figure that out.
    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

[[Closed thread]]
    Last edited by masterpj; 01-14-2015 at 06:50. Reason: [[Closed thread]]