Thread: kapton tape and kncock offs

Default kapton tape and kncock offs

he before i can get the correct fluid for cleaning optics what i has been doing is placing the mirror or optic in kapton tape for storage is this a good idea or could take some of the coatings with it? even diffraction grating and other parts have all found new uses because of what i am learned here. i dud service dlp and sony's lcos light engines and that have lots of parts and can be spun or rotated around to give a neat pattern on say the side of a building i need to get my dc and recording dude involved to as he uses color engines for his stages iwill try to make contact with him
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

I've never heard of anyone using tape of any kind as you suggest here. Rolling optics up in lens paper is the conventional way to protect their coatings. I'd be worried about the glue affecting the coatings, in the long run. It just seems unnecessary to me, to contact the surfaces with anything, especially glue.

As above, wrap the optic in lens tissue and store in a plastic container.

A coating of Stanwax First Contact is always a good idea.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

yeah the coating from stanwax is in the works i don't have the money to get it yet, , to add i have only been doing this and really small easy to lose stuff
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu