Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Entec box questioin

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Entec box questioin

I have a Entec DMX Pro box for connecting with Quickshow (and Beyond, I guess) to run DMX cues. I've yet to be able to get it to work. Does the green light on the box simply flash when it's plugged in to a USB port and then go out or, is it supposed to be on all the time? I'm trying to go through process of elimination. The Entec box is of course 5 pin and I have a 5 to 3 pin adapter. I use the adapter with a regular 5 pin out DMX console (Behringer LC2412) and it works with it. I don't know if it's a problem with the box or something else. Quickshow I think recognizes it when I fire it up because the DMX tab appears when the Entec is hooked up and, I think it's on the right com port. Plus if I recall, flecom tested the box at FLEM last year and it worked.

But moving the sliders in the DMX bank in Quickshow is causing nothing to react.

I'm pretty certain the box is working and Quickshow is talking to it. I'm kind of wondering now about the 5 pin to 3 pin adapter and whether the Entec is different in terms of the pin polarity than the Behringer board.

3 to 5 pin adapters all should have 1:1 connection, i.e. pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2 and pin 3 to pin 3 (4 and 5 not used)
    Behringer and Enttec definitely adhere to this scheme.

Let me know what you find. I need to buy one of these Entec Pro boxes or one of the clones eventually.

Hi Brad,

Check the Settings/DMX Settings, is the box visible there?

The green light should be flashing when the box is outputting valid DMX.

No, no flashing green light. All I get is a brief green flash when plugging it into a USB port on the laptop. The box is recognized and on the working COM port. It is configured to enable DMX out. Starting address and everything else is right. But no flashing green LED on the Entec and no reaction from the moving head when moving the corresponding sliders. If it's supposed to be flashing, I'm really wondering now if this Entec box is, in fact working. It's recognized for what it is but, not outputting anything.

I'm going to download and test the Pro manager referenced above and see if that does anything.

Ok, the box works. The 5 to 3 pin converter is obviously ok and I've got the flashing green LED. So now.... it's an issue with talking with Quickshow. Off to mess around with it some more.

Have you looked in "settings"/ "DMX Settings" to make sure "Enable DMX Output" is checked? Also, under DMX output settings make sure the box for # of channels is set high enough for the # of channels you need. Make sure "Show it now" is selected on the DMX editor/timeline. That is about all I can think of.