Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Laserists- Please contact me.

Default UK Laserists- Please contact me.

I have a client inquiry for a pretty decent show tour in the UK this Summer. The budget does not allow for CT. Lasers to come over and do the shows. However, I told them I would check with some colleagues across the pond. Their budget is approximately 500 pounds per show. I am not aware of current practical UK show pricing. I told the client that I had NO idea of this was an acceptable budget or not.

You will need at least-

(2) 12+ Watt RGB's (I quoted (3) 20 Watt RGB's) LEGITIMATE RGB's). Not 18 watts of blue and a few mW here and there of other colors.
    high output foggers

Interested members please *DO NOT* contact me here. I am very rarely on here anymore. Please E-mail me at

marc at ctlasers dot com

I will provide you more information and client contact details.

I hope everyone is well and had a great Holiday season / New year.

-Marc
    -CT. Lasers
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

"Pretty decent" and "£500 per show" for 2x 12W+ RGB's and op, control system, decent hazers and consumables are not entirely compatible I wouldn't think.
    Best of luck to them if they find someone.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

it will be not easy to find someone with laser 12W+ who want to do show for 500GBP... even in poland

"Pretty decent" + "2x 12W+" + "£500 per show" in one sentence... no way

500 GBP is ridiculous budget even in Eastern Europe for 12+ W.

For Marc's benefit, in the UK, day rates are typically £150-£250 for techs, travel at 45p per mile, hazer/fogger ~£40/day. Accomodation and sustenance extra.
    My 8W RGB are over £500/pair/day (and I'm cheap compared to other companies). Martin at Synchrovision has sojme good rates on Kvant projector hire, but even he can't do the dry hire for £500, before you even factor crew costs. Somebody may also want to charge for Beyond/control system too.
    If the laser company is VAT registered don't forget to add 20%.

What is an acceptable rate in the US Marc? $1500?
    Frikkin Lasers

I'll be honest guys...

I have NO idea what typical shows are priced for in the UK. I just remember many posts from here over the years where many UK laserists would comment on what we charged here in the USA (usually considerably more) for shows and how they couldn't get what we charged here. However, these shows, referenced in this post, I *did* quote out on the "cheaper" end as it is for cancer benefits. I had a brother pass away from cancer. So whenever I can help out a cause to benefit cancer care, awareness, fundraising...etc I do as much as I can.

I got a couple emails regarding this inquiry. I completely understand if none of you are willing to do it. I know now that the budget, even for "community service" may not be realistic.

@norty- If this was a "regular" show here in the USA- outdoors, 3 RGB's 20+W, staff, FAA, full production of an approx. 15-20 minute show and all of the typical "business costs," this would easily contract out for about $10k+. If I was doing it here in the USA for a cancer cause (legitimate, well known cancer service) I would do it for bare costs. Pretty much just enough to cover labor and costs for the event. Maybe $2000-$3000.

-Marc
    Last edited by gottaluvlasers; 01-15-2015 at 06:33.
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

If I had the lasers required (and I was available) then I might have done it for this money... but it would be for 'community service' as Marc says.

I don't mind doing stuff for cheap or even, god forbid, "free" IF I have the time/equipment to do it. I know this will bring on all sorts of rants about "hobiests destroying our industry" etc but I firmly believe that karma and 'good will' are almost as valuable to my business as hard currency.

However, I don't have the kit or the free time at the moment, hence my lack of response till now... however I thought I had to make this comment as it seems a certain 'capitalist/mercenary' mood has descended on the forum in this thread... that bubble needed bursting.

If in doubt... Give it a clout?

To be fair, I don't think anyone knew if was for a charity when they discussed prices.

I to would give my time for such a good cause, having had it personally touch my family. I do not have the equipment or skills to do something of this scale though.

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    If I had the lasers required (and I was available) then I might have done it for this money... but it would be for 'community service' as Marc says.

I don't mind doing stuff for cheap or even, god forbid, "free" IF I have the time/equipment to do it. I know this will bring on all sorts of rants about "hobiests destroying our industry" etc but I firmly believe that karma and 'good will' are almost as valuable to my business as hard currency.

However, I don't have the kit or the free time at the moment, hence my lack of response till now... however I thought I had to make this comment as it seems a certain 'capitalist/mercenary' mood has descended on the forum in this thread... that bubble needed bursting.

TBH, the charity element adds a different slant to proceedings, might've been good to mention that at the start.
    Also, I think the threads talking about low rates in the UK are if some vintage now, where typical projector sizes were in the 4-6w region.
    Based on the original post I stand by what I wrote. I can't make the numbers work for my situation. It's not mercenary or capitalist, it's simply time that is finite being used on low paying jobs versus moderate paying jobs that still don't adequately cover the cost of ownership.
    Frikkin Lasers

Despite how it reads, I wasn't having a pop at anyone...

Well, no one in the U.K. anyways

I just meant that the "value" of a job isn't always monetary... something I think a few of us are starting to forget to take into consideration more and more.
    Even if it wasn't a 'charity job' I'd still have considered it if circumstances were right... there's always the possibility it could be fun/bring new contacts/lead to other better paid jobs etc...

I won the contract for the tour that's keeping me busy till May through a similar 'free job' and this tour has pretty much kept me well employed since August last year... hence I wasn't at the last LEM :/
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?