Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: question about software and laser

Just to be clear, with Pangolin it has a dedicated DAC (called the FB3) and it is included in the price, so you don't need to buy one separate as it will be in the box. Just wanted to clear that up as you were considering the RIYA and I didn't want you to buy the RIYA and Pangolin, only then to find you didn't need the RIYA.

If buying Pangolin, the package you will probably want is the QS-FB3 unless you can afford / need Beyond.

There's also an older QS-XE version but that's really designed for building into the laser by laser manufacturers and for those who need standalone (memory card ie non pc based playback).

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    There's also an older QS-XE version but that's really designed for building into the laser by laser manufacturers and for those who need standalone (memory card ie non pc based playback).
    Almost right, it is the FB3-SE that is designed to be fitted into a projector, the XE was essentially an SE in a box but has been discontinued. What needs noting however, the FB3-SE is a modular unit that uses daughter boards for various things (USB, DMX for example). It also requires an add-on board to create differential signals for the X/Y outputs (X+/-, Y+/-), natively it is single ended (X+,GND,Y+). This unit can be purchased from Pangolin as an order by email, at which time you can specify the requirements at a cost for each module (See Here).
    As you said, controlling the FB3-SE is by XD card. However, if you purchase the USB module then direct control by Pangolin software is possible (QS, Beyond, LivePro). As the cost of an FB3-SE with USB and Differential output modules is more than a FB3-QS and the only advantage is the XD card input, I'd be inclined to recommend the FB3-QS for someone just starting, especially as the SE needs wiring into the projector or a ILDA interface box of the users own design.

It should be noted the FB3-QS is not an SE in a box. It is a totally redesigned board with USB input and ILDA output. I can only assume that the core firmware is similar between the two versions as they are both called FB3 by Pangolin.
    Last edited by WolfMax; 01-18-2015 at 01:31.
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

i order the quickshow and the fb3 dac... thanks!