Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB - LSDI Universal Geometric Corrector, aka 'UGC'

Exclamation WTB - LSDI Universal Geometric Corrector, aka 'UGC'

Hey Kats -

We are needing to get ahold of a 'Universal Geometric Corrector', aka 'UGC' , as-made by Lighting Systems Deisgn, aka 'LSDI' -

...yes, yes, I know 'Pangolin has all... blah, blah - thank you very much, but those controls do you no good when you are not running Pango to control your laser projector, aka from ADATs / for the likes-of Laserium projectors ,etc...

SO, anyone out there have one they'd be willing to part-with at a 'reasonable' price? Of course, must be working flawlessly...

Please PM ASAP with any info...thanks

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I can't help you with that but...can somebody give me the schematic!
    I found the manual:
    http://www.jrbtechnical.com/pdf/ugcmanual.pdf
    looks like a nifty little circuit and I guess it is all analog. Some of the functions are pretty easy to make bute some of the others ar a little bit harder, some nice analog signal processing magic in there!

So I don't have any of the LSDI Geo cards, but i do have several LFI GEOMETRY Correction cards for sale... They ROCK....

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Kats -

We are needing to get ahold of a 'Universal Geometric Corrector', aka 'UGC' , as-made by Lighting Systems Deisgn, aka 'LSDI' -

...yes, yes, I know 'Pangolin has all... blah, blah - thank you very much, but those controls do you no good when you are not running Pango to control your laser projector, aka from ADATs / for the likes-of Laserium projectors ,etc...

SO, anyone out there have one they'd be willing to part-with at a 'reasonable' price? Of course, must be working flawlessly...

Please PM ASAP with any info...thanks

j

I think Bill at Pangolin has one he might let go.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dar303 View Post
    I can't help you with that but...can somebody give me the schematic!
    I found the manual:
    http://www.jrbtechnical.com/pdf/ugcmanual.pdf
    looks like a nifty little circuit and I guess it is all analog. Some of the functions are pretty easy to make bute some of the others ar a little bit harder, some nice analog signal processing magic in there!
    I won't give you my schematics, but I'll give you a hint: in the Laser Fantasy version the only "exotic" parts are analog multipliers. Everything else is opamps and trimpots. You can probably figure out most or all of the functionality by importing an ILDA test pattern into Excel, making an XY scatter plot of the data, and then crunching some numbers.

-Alex

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I hate math, but lets see if I have this close.

F(xpincushion) = (k)* ((Y*Y)X)
    F(ypincushion) =(k)*((x*x)Y)

F(Xtrapazoid) = (k)*(YX)
    F(Ytrapazoid) = (k)*(XY)

F(Xrotation) =(K)*(Y)
    F(Yrotation)=(k)*(x)

F(Xlinearity) = ((k*Y)+X)
    F(Ylinearity) = ((k*x)+Y)

Where K = the potentiometer settings

Sum the transfer functions.

Hint, in a relative sort of way, BOW and PINCUSHION are the same to the chips, just polar opposites in a differential world........

F(m) = ((x1-x2) * (y1-y2))/10

That is all I'm sayin......

Don't even think to ask for my copy of the schematic of yet a third design (NOT LSDI, NOT LFI) I promised I would not disclose that hardware.

This patent's hardware is atrociously huge, but it does give you the functions in the right terms. US Patent 4,518,898 I actually had the board for that patent at one time out of a CRT typesetter. The board was 18 x 24 inches, and I got tired of the space it took, so I scrapped it when GC became common in software.

I worked for a surplus company in college, and much to my delight, right around when LSDI released theirs, I found the board in the typesetter. If I was not a member of ILDA at the time, I would have had no idea what that typesetter board was.

This is so trivial for a PC to do, for most graphics. It is very useful when your in a dome , however, there is a alternative, if you can find a reflective sphere to scan on first.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-22-2009 at 05:15.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    snip

This patent's hardware is atrociously huge, but it does give you the functions in the right terms. US Patent 4,518,898

Steve
    Thanks for the patent reference - very cool - but unless you've got a bunch of AD532s in your junk box (well actually I do...) - digital is the way to go....

Thanks for the patent and and all the hints/info!
    I'm not going to rip off some patented circuit, I'm just trying to incorporate some of these functions in my future analog-modular-synth-to-laser interface.
    I also found a nice digital scan rotator in an old thread, it will be very cool if I ever get that one working!

I might have a card or two left in storage, but not sure of working condition unfortunately, and do not have the equipment to test at this time. I'll have to take a look.

John

Hi all,

I am just about to list one of these for sale on eBay. Please see the "Buy/Sell/Trade" area of this forum.

Bill