Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser diode (burning laser diode type) help

Default Laser diode (burning laser diode type) help

Hi everyone!
    I don't have a lot of electrical knowledge, so I will try to explain my problem the best as I can.
    I have a MITSUBISHI/658nm-660nm 300-400mw CW Red Laser Diode, and 5.1V 0.7A power source (used for charging mobile phones).

My 1st question is:
    -if one pin on laser diode is positive and one pin negative power, what is the third pin?

And my 2nd question is (also my problem):
    -I have wired a few resistors to drop the voltage of power source to 2.2V (which is specified for laser diode). When I plugged the laser diode to power source, I could see a little red dot, but not even close for what I need for laser cutting. So what am I doing wrong (I have seen tutorials on web using the same laser, so I think laser is not the problem).
    -Should I connect both laser diode pins to + and the third pin to -?
    -Should I use diffrent power source (some kind of switching power supply)?

Laser diode is from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110896818957...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Laser diode would be used for cutting paper.

Thanks.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

without a proper laser diode driver you will absolutely destroy your diode. this may have already happened. if it hasn't, it will.

this should work for you: https://lasertack.com/en/2a-laser-diode-driver

Quote Originally Posted by lukaFriend View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I don't have a lot of electrical knowledge, so I will try to explain my problem the best as I can.
    I have a MITSUBISHI/658nm-660nm 300-400mw CW Red Laser Diode, and 5.1V 0.7A power source (used for charging mobile phones).

My 1st question is:
    -if one pin on laser diode is positive and one pin negative power, what is the third pin?

And my 2nd question is (also my problem):
    -I have wired a few resistors to drop the voltage of power source to 2.2V (which is specified for laser diode). When I plugged the laser diode to power source, I could see a little red dot, but not even close for what I need for laser cutting. So what am I doing wrong (I have seen tutorials on web using the same laser, so I think laser is not the problem).
    -Should I connect both laser diode pins to + and the third pin to -?
    -Should I use diffrent power source (some kind of switching power supply)?

Laser diode is from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110896818957...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Laser diode would be used for cutting paper.

Thanks.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I thought the driver only reduces voltage much like regular adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by lukaFriend View Post
    I thought the driver only reduces voltage much like regular adapters.
    Nope!

Best perhaps to do a little more reading about laser diodes and laser safety before you try to burn things, or the only things you're going to burn are your diode or your eyes.

Your diode runs at 400mA (0,4A) so you don't need a 2000mA (2A) driver. Also don't need analog modulation for burning.
    This one should work:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-c...-/381124616767

Default ROFLOL "burning laser diode" LOL

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:31.

I have a bar type laser i use for making marks on wood and this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Xantrex-XHR-7...item58965c6f5e is what i use for the controller, it has a constant current mode that seems to run my diode very happily. it seems tow ok just fine and even better then the controller i built for my diode bar. my optics are bad at best and i want to try one day to make an engraver out of it. anyway you will need some form of constant current controller that has a clean output. when i operate it every one in the room has eye protection. Class 4 lasers are not toys but i totally understand the fascination with these but please careful
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Well I see there are a lot of replys since the last time I was here.
    First of all thank you all for your replys, I will try to follow your advices. Special thanks to swamidog and jors for diode driver links.

And of course my dear crazy colleague Laser Wizardry, to you:
    -Ok I read your reply (I also laughed a lot by reading it)
    -I use Laser Protection Goggles and NO I DON'T POINT LASER TO MY EYES OR TO ANY OTHER HUMAN BEING (I don't know how many accidents you had but did you consider that maybe just maybe not everyone on the web has the urge to blind someone)
    -I work alone In the garage, trying not to expose anybody to anything!
    -I work step by step when dealing with something I am not familiar with (not everything at once)
    -When I do with some kind of potentially dangerous things, I rather ask on forum then just google it. Maybe I get a few harsh replys but at least I get a few good tips or guides on how to move on.
    -"...as the willingness to do a little google research before posting." - Do you usually just google the things you don't know and and then try to build them. Maybe that's your way (yeah google is a very trustworthy source ) but like I said, I rather ask.
    -I figured out that the current was way too low for laser diode

Laser wizardry don't blame me I also tried to speak my mind. So thank you all for your replys, a lot of them really helpful (I'll continue learning)!

Cheers!

Sorry I missed your reply Draco I didn't refresh the page when I was writting my reply. Thank you too Draco for your reply.