Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Video

Default New Video

I uploaded a new video demonstrating my wavelength multiplexing technique. The technique is a success, relatively easy to implement and if a multichannel TEC controller can be developed then this has the potential to increase red laser beam brightness 5-10 times. In view of the relative competition from China for modest power projectors (<15W) really, really powerful red lasers may open up the opportunity for new, solid state areal projectors. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE-73EWUapw

Your explanations are extraordinarily clear. Thank you for sharing your experiment!

someone better let pink floyd know!

Very clear video, I enjoyed it!

Some constructive criticism : I would suggest you get yourself a lapel microphone, it would make your videos much more pleasant to listen to.
    Or find out if you can switch the directionality of the cam microphone.

Thanks for the review The cooling fan is significantly louder in the video than it is in the lab. I'll have to pay more attention to the relative location of the camera and noise sources.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

One of the things I enjoy most about Eric's videos is he has the uncanny ability to express the technical in both a technical and non-technical way so it can be understood and appreciated at every level. Sometimes when he and Steve for example get to talking, the conversation just gets too technical and certainly way over my head but, they both "speak the language" and probably enjoy the conversation. Yet planters is particularly good at "dumbing it down" enough for the layman to "get it" in videos and things. Sometimes really smart analytical people lack that ability. (I'm not implying Steve! That's just a general observation.)

The art of teaching is being able to explain in words and then demonstrate what was stated. In the case of this video, one can clearly see the three red lines converge into one after the TEC is engaged. One can appreciate the amount of time and thought that went into projecting the beams onto a screen so that we can easily see what was verbally explained.

I'm glad the principals of this multiplexing technique have come through. I am planning to use this concept to construct a prototype laser module with the G71 diodes. I am pretty confident that the housing I built or one very similar could hold 4 pairs of diodes each mounted on an individual TEC stack and then knife edged to two identical 4 diode beams. These would then be PBSed together before being compressed to a single beam. Based on the performance of even the very similar diode pair in the video, it might be possible to combine as many as 10 diodes into each beam. The only bottleneck is the TEC drivers.

This is really huge. All of a sudden red can now compete watt for watt with blue.

Maybe a small investment in a Lavalier mic
    Great work! You're such a mad scientist!

Fred.

Maybe a small investment in a Lavalier mic
    Maybe. It certainly can't hurt. However, up to now I haven't had a problem with the audio levels in these videos and so it hasn't motivated me to do this. I'll think about it.

Something that has occurred to me is whether the enthusiasm for the construction of more powerful and higher quality laser projectors has largely disappeared. Has the availability of inexpensive projectors from China made the construction of a projector anachronistic? In a related thread, Flecom complained that doing shows has become so unprofitable that he resists even minor repairs of one of his existing projectors. On the other hand, Norty recently needed a really powerful laser to project a logo onto a mountainside. The client would have preferred red, but...well there you go.

The theme of my video is the application of a practical technique for producing red laser beams of unprecedented brightness. What I'm wondering is if this is exciting or only an interesting optical phenomenon?