Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does this DMX device exist?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Eureka! I believe the Fleenor unit is exactly what I was envisioning when I made the original post. Just spotted the price. I would hope it's rock solid for frickin $514! Good Lord!

I could pay somebody $10 per hour to sit and turn the DF-50 on and off when I hand wave at them, for roughly 21 years at my current average usage for the cost of one of those suckers! Wow!

Yeaaah Fleenor is pricey, but here's the deal: They are a small family run company that makes everything here in the US. Their customer service is second to none, and their stuff is used in major TV studios, live events, and on Broadway so that can attest to their reliability. Their gear is more of an investment and it will last you forever. I always think of this when I'm buying something that I know will go out on a lot of gigs where I don't have to worry about it not working when it should.

I fully realize that they are obviously generally dealing with a much higher end clientele. And as you said, it will last probably longer than both our lifetimes. I'm not begrudging them or anything, as for high dollar events, you need vendors with high quality reliable, equipment. That was just a "wow!" when I saw the price. Sadly, I don't do lighting for the Rolling Stones though. Lol

I just didn't know if there was a similar thing by say, Elation, Chauvet or others in that caliber in the $50-$100 range.

There are 4channel relay packs from American DJ and such, but they only have each channel rated at 600w, and the starting surge draw of the DF50 is like 13 amps so it can easily blow out the relay pack channel.
    There really isn't anything between these el cheapo packs and the Fleenor stuff, odd but true.

Time to cue up ekeefe! I suspect that if anybody could design and (over)engineer that sort of device for a reasonable price, it would be him. Heck, knowing him, he'd probably do it just for the fun of the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Time to cue up ekeefe! I suspect that if anybody could design and (over)engineer that sort of device for a reasonable price, it would be him. Heck, knowing him, he'd probably do it just for the fun of the challenge.
    Ed's a genius, to be sure. Just before Christmas, he completed a tool which enables me to do some cool new stuff in my home disco. I'll demonstrate his invention after I've complete the associated set-up and some videos on my end.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Hello,

@Bradfo69 - Just let me know what you need and I will draw it up.

@dkumpula - Thank you!

ED

Lightbulb Late to the party, as-usual, but..

Quote Originally Posted by luxilid View Post
    A word of advice, do not use dimmers to control motors, especially the DF50...you can get away with it in a pinch, but..should really just use a relay. Doug Fleenor makes rock solid..
    +1 for this, and also a 'pro-plug' for the 'Dove-box' / not 'going cheap' on these types of devices: http://dovesystems.com/products/DM%20406%20SUG.html ..(and yes, they are 'out there' for less-than-List (ouch!..) but.. ..As 'Lux' says.. go Relay for the Dee-Effer.. Sounds like Sir Ed will get you sorted..

fwiw,
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hello,

I have the circuit designed and the firmware written.

PCBs should be here tomorrow.

@Bradfo69
    I will PM you more details after I build the boards.

I am going to start designing the enclosure for the device.

More details to follow.

ED