Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does this DMX device exist?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ok... thanks!

And all that 15 character stuff.

I may be too late to this conversation, but in my opinion (with a lot of lighting guy experience under my belt) the Elation DP-415, mentioned earlier in the thread is exactly what you want, and they're around $125.

Yes, they are dimmer packs, and you should never use a dimmer pack on anything other than an incandescent bulb. Most other devices have a step-down transformer before any motors or circuit boards, and that is what will blow if you use a dimmer pack as an on-off switch. Been there done that.

However the DP-415 (I have 2 of these) is a hybrid dimmer pack, which means at the flip of a dipswitch, it becomes a relay pack, turning it into a 4-channel remote switch, no dimming. DMX 0-127=off, DMX 128-255=on.

Slightly fancier and a bit more money is the Chauvet DMX4 http://www.chauvetlighting.com/dmx-4.html . It can handle more power, and is also a hybrid pack, but each of the 4 channels can be independently assigned as either a dimmer or a relay, so it gives a bit more flexibility. I also have one of these, and use it to control my hazer.

Sounds like you already have a custom solution in place, but if that doesn't pan out, these are my recommendations.

Hello,

I have the DMX controlled relay finished.

The device allows an AC load at 120 volts up to 10 Amps to be either on or off. Since a relay is used, it will allow control of both resistive (lights) and inductive (motors, heaters, fans...) loads.

Here are some pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dmx_relay.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	46494

Name:	dmx_relay1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	46495

Name:	dmx_relay2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	46496

Name:	dmx_relay3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	46497

Name:	dmx_relay15.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	46499

@Bradfo69: I have PM'ed you full details about the device, its options and operation.

I'm curious what people think.

ED
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dmx_relay5.jpg  

Since you are curious what people think I will give you my thoughts.

First impression is WOW, that's really nice. The digital readout is something I wouldn't have expected. I am impressed. If it works as good as it looks then it's definitely a nice piece of work!

My next thoughts are that I really wouldn't want to pay extra for a digital readout since one of those dip switch things would be just fine for me and would take up less space. The box seems large but I am sure it could be made smaller since the enclosure is mostly empty. I see a 9v input but since it has a power cord going into it I think it would be nice if it had an internal power supply from the 120V line. I know that wouldn't work if it isn't controlling 120V loads, though, and maybe the on/off surges would freak out the electronics. So, maybe that wouldn't work well without adding a lot of cost. If I bought one of these gizmos I would likely want to integrate it into my device so an OEM solution would be more suited for my needs. But, having a complete boxed solution that can be used for anything is definitely nice, too!

But like I said, I am impressed overall. Especially since you went the extra mile to put it in a nice labeled box for show. Well done.

Hello,

@JohnYayas: Thank you for the kind words and suggestions.

I certainly could make the device smaller. Using a DIP switch is also no problem.

I am using a separate 9VDC input to isolate the controller from the relay circuit. A wall-wart also keeps the cost down, but I could derive power from the incoming 120V cord by adding an internal power supply.

Regarding internal integration, I could surface mount most of the components and shrink the PCB down. I could also add address setting by RDMX and remove the need for a DIP switch altogether.

The display and encoder together only add about $5 to the cost. The knob on the encoder costs more than the LED or the encoder itself. Here is some information about how I use the display.

Here are some pictures of the device menu:

Address:
    Set DMX address. Selecting this menu item allows setting the DMX address of the device (1-512).

Sigloss:
    Determines what to do in the event of DMX signal loss. Choices are "Hold" and "Release". When the relay is activated and Sigloss is set to "Hold", if the DMX signal is lost the relay remains active. When the relay is activated and Sigloss is set to "Release", if the DMX signal is lost the relay will open.

Display:
    Sets whether the LED is on or off.

Brightness:
    Allows the brightness of the LED to be adjusted from 1(dim) to 15(bright).

This determines what is displayed on the LED.

Default:
    Resets device to factory defaults.

The status display options are:

Relay State only

DMX Address only

DMX Address and Relay State

DMX Address and raw DMX data

None

There is some artifacts in the pictures that makes some unlit segment appear lit, please ignore them. The display is very clear.

I welcome comments.

ED

Nice build but I would echo Johns sentiments, especially integrating the DC power supply inside the enclosure.
    Also, a 10 Amp relay is really cutting it close for electrical motors like the one inside a DF50. These often have a initial surge current draw of >20 Amps for a few milliseconds and this repeated activity will weld the relay contact together over time.
    Any electrical device that needs to be run off a relay should be overrated by a good amount if you want it to last over many cycles. I would suggest having that 10A relay in turn power a larger 30 Amp relay or contractor to handle motor loads properly.

Hello,

@luxilid: Thank you for the comments.

The specification I received about the device to be controlled was "a couple amps". I designed the device to handle 10Amps. I am using a 16Amp relay for overhead.

I will think about making the power supply internal.

ED

Quote Originally Posted by ekeefe View Post
    Hello,

@luxilid: Thank you for the comments.

The specification I received about the device to be controlled was "a couple amps". I designed the device to handle 10Amps. I am using a 16Amp relay for overhead.

I will think about making the power supply internal.

ED
    After seeing the explanation of the LED readout I really like that feature. I need to do some DMX testing with my software sometimes and just having that readout would be perfect for me. I wouldn't even need the relay. This goes outside the purpose of the DMX relay but if your readout would have a mode where it shows the numeric value being sent to the device channel that would be really useful for testing purposes. So, you might be able to turn your relay device into a test device as well!

Edit: On 2nd look I see you already do have a mode to show the device data. Excellent! Can I buy one?

Hello,

@JohnYayas: I just sent you a PM.

I'm glad you like it. I thought displaying the raw data would be handy, so I added it.

ED

Got the PM and replied.