Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does this DMX device exist?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Does this DMX device exist?

Haven't seen it but was wondering if something like this exists. A DMX device designed to turn on and off a 120v powered item.

The Reel Effects DF-50 hazer for example is pretty much a turn on, turn off device via a switch on the back. I usually leave them in the on position and turn them off and on using a Christmas light style remote control where the DF-50 is plugged into the receiver which is in turn, plugged into a wall outlet and has a key fob style transmitter. Works decently with a range of maybe 75 feet but.... since they're up near the stage with all the other lighting crap that's becoming connected with DMX cable anyway, why not make a stop at a box where the DF-50 could be plugged into it and have it set on a channel for on/off operation.

Is there an inherent problem with this?

Dave used to sell a single relay DMX board. I can only find the 8ch board on Lasershow Parts now. http://lasershowparts.com/store/inde...&productId=167

There are a few on ebay too. It's just a regular N/O relay. I would imagine 0~127 is off and 128~256 is on, closing the relay and powering anything you need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMX-to-1-cha...item2a4a3cf31e
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Hello,

If you have no luck finding the device you need, PM me and I can build one for you.

ED

Ed, I figured you would have that ability to build one. I'm just surprised I've not seen anything like it in the marketplace and wondered if something existed already.

go to lighting company and ask for a power pack
    it is a 12 channel DMX to direct electricity
    just like a 12 channel lighting dimmer
    you can use it for a fan or electric screen or lights on and of

Good point. A standard dimmer pack could do that. It's just a lot more expensive a solution than I thought it needs to be. I have a couple dimmer packs so I might keep that in mind. I like the point about a fan too.

This exists. See below for an example in the Thomann webshop, but there must be similar things available in the US.
    Smallest you will probably get is 4 channel like ths one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/botex_dsp405_switchpack.htm

I googled dmx relay and found a bunch of stuff.

Brad -

Readily-available dimmer packs like the DP-415 can be used in "switch" mode to turn AC loads on/off; you'll just need to be sure the load you want to use (hazer) doesn't exceed the dimmer pack rating.
    Considering that you get four separate switched outlet pairs for the price, it really isn't a bad way to go (and probably cheaper in the long run than DIY using partial kits):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DimPack415

Randy
    Last edited by Stuka; 01-21-2015 at 03:41.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Brad -

Readily-available dimmer packs like the DP-415 can be used in "switch" mode to turn AC loads on/off; you'll just need to be sure the load you want to use (hazer) doesn't exceed the dimmer pack rating.
    Considering that you get four separate switched outlet pairs for the price, it really isn't a bad way to go (and probably cheaper in the long run than DIY using partial kits):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DimPack415

Randy
    I used to hook up unintelligent lighting to dimmer packs and learned a couple things. First, they don't have fail safe / fail current-state modes for when a DMX signal is interrupted momentarily. This generally causes the dimmer pack to fail to off which isn't a problem so much for a fogger, but anything with a start-up sequence could be forced through a re-boot cycle more often than you'd like.

Another issue I noticed with several dimmer packs is as they age, they tend to leak a bit of current when they aren't suppose to be. I never noticed this with incandescent lighting, but when I started migrating to LED lighting many years ago, the LED spots would blink occasionally (more-so as the dimmer packs aged). I "solved" this issue by putting a load like an incandescent light of sufficient wattage (e.g. 10W) on the same dimmer pack outlet. The light bulb being located in a safe and out of the way location. A 'low-brow solution' to be sure, but it worked.

A digital dmx relay with a dmx fail mode to prior state should solve both of the issues above, but again with a cheap fogger, this may not be necessary.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"