View Poll Results: HAVE YOU EVER USED AN ILDA FORMAT THREE FILE

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no idea what Formats I use. They just Load.

5 25.00%
  • Yes, I've knowingly been sent a Format Three FILE

5 25.00%
  • NO, I have not used a Format Three file.

9 45.00%
  • Why Do I even care.

1 5.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilda format three

Really? The current version?

I'll look into that.

My want-to is always far ahead of my can-do.

But you know how that is.

Garbage in : Garbage out.

I appreciate reports like this. It's hard to test every possible situation.

Thanks for your support!

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-23-2015 at 21:20.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I would love to see an official ILDA response to the issues outlined in this thread.

I REALLY would!
    I doubt it, as that would require Ilda to care enough about this issue.

Those images will definately be useful for the wiki.

By the way if you try to load in a non-Ilda file into IldaViewer it tells you it's not an ilda file and tells you the first four bytes of the file as characters. That's not because of cleverness but because using the default Processing file browser it's not simple to set a default file type (at least I haven't figured out how). You can't even select multiple files at once. But now you can drag and drop files so at least that's no longer an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    It has been my experience that ILDA does what ILDA does for the sake of ILDA. They do not care about what effect anything they do will have on anyone or anything that is not ILDA.

A while back PL member X-Laser posted that he was working on some new verbiage for their um... "Ethics Rules".

So I PM-ed him with my phone number and he called me. I asked him if he knew who I was. He had heard of LaserBoy but did not know about the file issues. So I pointed him toward my account of the matter. He got off the phone and read the whole thing and called me back. We talked for well over an hour. He was impressed with my enthusiasm about their file format and gave me the same old mantra about how all ILDA members are volunteers. He said he didn't know about all that history, but had no reason not to believe me.

Guess where that phone conversation went!

NOWHERE.

You would think that after all these years that they would want to finally deal with it and get beyond it.

No one has to "believe" any of it. There is more than enough of the story that is recorded historical fact. All one has to do is a little research.

The 16 byte section header is nonsense. Fact.

The ILDA spec had always been in the public area of their website. Fact.

The proposal for format 3 was open to public review. Fact.

I contacted Matt Polak, the chair of the tech-comm about the 16 byte header in email. Not verifiable.

I contacted Peter Jakubek by email and was insulted and ignored. Not verifiable.

I posted my rebuttal on my website well before the expiration of the proposal. Fact.

Formats 4 & 5 were added to the spec behind closed doors with no offer of public review. Fact.

The new file spec was hidden behind a members only curtain on their website. Fact.

The old incomplete spec is still in the public view. Fact.

If PL member Robin wants to call me at 330-762-7137, I would be glad to have a civil conversation with him about this. Fact.

Although it would probably be better if he posted his or ILDA's position on the matter in this thread, for the sake of transparency.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-24-2015 at 12:20.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Since Robin has already acknowledged this thread and offered information as a leader in the development and deployment of the ILDA File Format, it behooves someone within the ranks of ILDA to respond to the issues addressed since his post.

If ILDA fails to address the issues in this thread, that is yet another example of their refusal to adhere to their own rules of ethics.

FACT.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Let me change my comment to "These issues are not important enough to require an addressing by Ilda" (and that is my own opinion).

Then what importance does the file format have at all?

I've gotten much the same opinion from ILDA members I have spoken with about this.

They all seem to vacillate between ILDA being a standards keeping association and it not being important at all.

Mission Statement: (first sentence)
    ILDA promotes the use of laser displays in the international marketplace through awards programs, publications, technology standards and a code of ethics.

http://www.laserist.org/mission.htm

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-24-2015 at 13:11.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Oh I'm not doubting the importance of the Ilda standard, just that there were indeed mistakes made in the past but that those mistakes aren't important enough for the members of Ilda, ten years later, to address here on the forum. But certainly important enough to finally fix their mistakes and put the correct specs on their website. I mean, what would you expect, a public apology?

Oh I'm not doubting the importance of the Ilda standard, just that there were indeed mistakes made in the past but that those mistakes aren't important enough for the members of Ilda, ten years later, to address here on the forum. But certainly important enough to finally fix their mistakes and put the correct specs on their website. I mean, what would you expect, a public apology?
    How about we just start with acknowledging the "mistakes made in the past".

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Format 3 was never adopted and it isn't going to be so what difference does it make? If you aren't an ILDA member then why would they owe you an explanation, anyway? I certainly am NOT in favor of Format 3 so I don't have any desire to know why it wasn't adopted. As far as I am concerned ILDA did the right thing.
    I don't know, Gary. It's like you've never read anything I've ever written.

Maybe you should start working on your ILDA Format 6.

"If you aren't an ILDA member..."

Does that really make sense to you?

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-24-2015 at 14:20.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt and the webpage.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials