View Poll Results: HAVE YOU EVER USED AN ILDA FORMAT THREE FILE

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no idea what Formats I use. They just Load.

5 25.00%
  • Yes, I've knowingly been sent a Format Three FILE

5 25.00%
  • NO, I have not used a Format Three file.

9 45.00%
  • Why Do I even care.

1 5.00%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ilda format three

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Format 3 was never adopted and it isn't going to be so what difference does it make? If you aren't an ILDA member then why would they owe you an explanation, anyway? I certainly am NOT in favor of Format 3 so I don't have any desire to know why it wasn't adopted. As far as I am concerned ILDA did the right thing.
    But Ilda did not do the right thing! Format 3 is still described on their website even though it's been deprecated for about ten years! How is that the right thing?

I guess since Ilda did not officially release formats 4 and 5, laser art must be the only medium left to use palettes as their colour source :P Not that they don't have some nice effects but still...

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    But Ilda did not do the right thing! Format 3 is still described on their website even though it's been deprecated for about ten years! How is that the right thing?
    Nor did they properly engage with public review in a civil or ethical manor. You have no way to know that, Gary. You were not there.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

ILDA is notoriously slack about updating the standard but it is well known that Format 3 never made it off the ground and that Formats 4 & 5 are the new thing in town. I can't point you to any official document that says that but if you are involved enough you'll know. I do think ILDA is a bit negligent in this but the intent is pretty clear, don't you think?
    Say, I'm a new Chinese company who creates projectors with an SD card reader. How on Earth am I to know about formats 4 & 5? No, I don't think the intent is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Nor did they properly engage with public review in a civil or ethical manor. You have no way to know that, Gary. You were not there.

James.
    Why do they need to engage with public review to begin with? It isn't a public standard. I know they were dealing with you and I know that you are impossible to deal with when it comes to anything where compromise is needed so I can draw conclusions on that and form a pretty clear picture of what happened.

Are you a member of ILDA or just one of those Chinese companies that creates cloned crap? I am inclined to say I don't really care about this Chinese company.
    I don't blame you but that is in contradiction with being an open standard.

Why do they need to engage with public review to begin with? It isn't a public standard. I know they were dealing with you and I know that you are impossible to deal with when it comes to anything where compromise is needed so I can draw conclusions on that and form a pretty clear picture of what happened.
    I think that is the root of your problem with me. You "draw conclusions". I imagine a lot of others do too.

The spec was public. Review was invited.

The 16 byte header had to have been presented as a departure from the norm. There must have been discusion about it within the committee.

So what would be wrong with offering me a reasonable explanation of its "technical merit" ?

I didn't tell them to break it.

If you didn't know anything about this issue or the players on either side, and someone said here's one way to do it and here's another way to do it, which way makes logical sense to you?

Your choices are one way or the other; not neither.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-24-2015 at 16:04.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

It doesn't matter. It isn't a contest. Why do you care? They built the house and tore it down. It doesn't matter if it was up to code or not. Do you think they used a 16 byte header to annoy you? Maybe they did. If so, I think that is funny. But I really don't care one way or the other.
    Really?

Why don't you write sixteen more posts about how much you don't care?

James
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Say, I'm a new Chinese company who creates projectors with an SD card reader. How on Earth am I to know about formats 4 & 5? No, I don't think the intent is clear.
    Lol.. With the exception of Goldenstar, if you're a Chinese company (from what I keep seeing from people buying these things) you only know about format 0!!

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Really?

Why don't you write sixteen more posts about how much you don't care?

James
    That would be silly. Just like the following quote that you made earlier in this thread.

If ILDA fails to address the issues in this thread, that is yet another example of their refusal to adhere to their own rules of ethics.

FACT.

Ya know what, no one else seems to be saying this, so I am going to...

James, from what I've seen you seem to be a very brilliant and talented programmer... Surely you're just wasting time debating this format and issue with ilda... Let them do what they do, and go do what you do. There's so many other avenues to explore, you just seem to be beating a dead horse at this juncture...

I understand. You came up with a format 3, ilda shut you out... It's not like there aren't other things you could focus your time and energy on. I've been doing a music magazine for 23 years. Tried to get Guiness Book Of World Records interested, even after them telling me there's no precedent for web based music magazines. So I appealed a few times, wrote them a few more. Sometimes you just have to move past it and focus on the future... Maybe it's not your time yet... Maybe there's something more you need to do, in another capacity... Yes, it seems like you failed, but the problem is you keep trying to scramble up the same 100 foot impassable cliff, when what you REALLY need to do is find an alternate route. It's hard to accept and change other people's minds. So why not put all that energy and focus into something the laser community really NEEDS, instead of trying to force the hands of people who aren't your biggest fans right now.

There's another way, surely, but not this way. I'm not saying let it go, I'm saying focus on something else that's more positive... Something you can actually ACCOMPLISH...