Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob question on scanning

Quote Originally Posted by And View Post
    P.s is the AL30k sufficient for beam shows do you guys think? Or should I pay the extra and go with the DT..
    Hi the AL20k is even sufficient for 30kpps scanning. I have those here including the al15k for experimentation and messing with.
    You need to retune the AL20k if you are getting it so you will have to get your feet wet with that right away.

I would shell out for the DT but if you want it here is the tuning guide:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AL20k_tuning_guide.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	46119
    Don't mind the mention of the side linear pots.. those are actually offsets. (for indeed the centering) I just never bothered to correct it in my image.

Regarding crowdscanning.. wouldn't recommend it right away for someone just starting out.
    Hope you can get some venue with a high enough ceiling where you can scan overhead... I think a lot of venues minus some really premium once don't really have a high ceiling.. perhaps I'm wrong.
    5W is most certainly crazy much for indoors and even worse when its really dark.

You don't even need 1watt.. you can get away with 500mw (miliwatt) in most small sized venues.. especially small ones haze and smoke will do a lot.
    Might not sound like a lot but for lasers this is still much.

For the recent replies-

Band is alternative rock style, I dont actually play in it but rather do the multimedia and other stuff.

Also I think under a watt is easily sufficient for us sometime in yhe future and without any crowd scanning.

Leaning towards the Chauvet swarm 5 as well as a mini kinta or an adj aggressor (seen better reviews for the kinta so far)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Chauvet makes a lot of good stuff. They are all very popular with mobile DJ's and I see them used quite frequently. I own several products from Chauvet and they are all deemed safe. They may say in their instruction manual to not necessarily aim certain models at a crowd but, because the mobile DJ market is often not well versed in lasers and safety, they are still regarded as being safe. American DJ makes a few things as well and I think they would all be fine for your purposes. I would rather see you get something from Chauvet or American DJ over a no-name effect laser of Chinese origin since I don't know that the same can be said for all of those units. The Chauvet may cost a little bit more but, in the end, the quality and safety factor is worth it. Filters, burst gratings and low powers are all your friend. If you want a really nice "wow" laser, take a look at the Chauvet Scorpion Storm MG. Great little laser for about $150 US. http://www.chauvetlighting.com/scorpion-storm-mg.html I see they've been discontinued but a little searching and you should be able to find one.
    What do you guys think of the Chauvet Scorpion Dual laser? Would it be considered a 'safe' laser for the purposes i listed? It's FDA approved and all that. The price is very attractive for some peace of mind. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...orpion&_sop=15

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I think you'd be fine with that. It uses what's called "fat beam' technology to make it eye safe. That's simply a divergence of the beam to make it much larger in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I think you'd be fine with that. It uses what's called "fat beam' technology to make it eye safe. That's simply a divergence of the beam to make it much larger in diameter.
    Thanks very much. I ordered one. Will use it in conjuction with my already purchased Swarm 5fx, one unit in each far upper corner of the room.