Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question on scanning

Default Noob question on scanning

Hi all. Great to be here! I've been considering picking up a laser from China. After reading heaps of posts and info I'm going with either Eighton, Golden or ABLE. Would like CNI diodes, DT30 and with safety features for mainly beam stuff. I had a question about the whole crowd scanning thing. I live in Japan and read on the ILDA site that scanning in Japan needs a permit but apparently it's rarely received nor enforced. In any case I couldn't live with myself to hurt someones eyes from doing noob stuff. So my question is -

I keep reading in various places that under 5W is fairly safe. I'm only looking to get a 1.5w RGB at the very most (the room is small and dark, will use smoke). After checking those maker websites they all seem to have some failsafe. Should I still be worrying do you guys think? Thank you for any help!

P.s is the AL30k sufficient for beam shows do you guys think? Or should I pay the extra and go with the DT..

I keep reading in various places that under 5W is fairly safe
    LOL!

Under 5mW (milliwatts) is considered safe in a pointer, 5 WATTS is far from safe.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hi And,

Anyone that says under 5 watts is "fairly" safe is like saying sex without a condom "might" not get you pregnant.

In the US, under 4.95mW is considered safe. That's 300 times less than your 1.5 watt RGB. That should tell you something. You're also saying small room. That basically puts your audience a hell of a lot closer to the projector which means that energy is still highly concentrated. Distance, which allows space for the beam to diverge and the energy level to drop in the beam is the only thing that's going to help here. Having a failsafe is certainly a good idea but, you really need to look into something like the Pangolin Safety Scan lens if you're going to attempt that. AND... know how to use the lens and use the correct one. There is a lot that needs to be done and learned if you are planning on scanning an audience and you have a moral if not even legal responsibility to do that before ever waving your prick... er... beams around. Sorry to sound harsh but, then again... no, I'm not.

Yes... pay the extra to go with the DT's.

Okay thanks for the advice. Guess I'll just drop the whole idea all together on the rgb since its so unsafe (sorry to Goldenstar etc who I already emailed XD). How about those mini ones that make all the squiggly patters etc? http://www.amazon.co.jp/elite-Laser-..._bxgy_MI_img_y
    Its actually after seeing that little one in a shop that fired up an interest in laser projectors. I went through the ebay and amazon china junk research roller coaster before figuring that safety was priority and selecting better companies etc. I'd buy Kvant with divergers (was quoted $5000 on the 801) but hey im not loaded and it's my first projector. So figured on Goldenstar etc. But if it's so unsafe than better to forget lasers.

What about those spinning LED head type things then? Ive noticed those around (dont know the brands) in some local livehouse mini rooms. They seem sound activated and must be safe? Anyone used them?
    Last edited by And; 01-23-2015 at 05:47.

They are pretty commonly used and often aimed at a dance floor and probably about as safe as you can get. I'm not trying to discourage you from going with the RGB. It's simply if you're going to get it, keep the projectors and beams above the audience and not IN the audience. (Without a lot more learning, experience and safe practices.)

I would take a strong look at Lightspace and the Leo or, the LS-RGB-700.

Oh.... and the most important thing... this is NOT an inexpensive hobby. Kiss any hope of financial solvency goodbye once you start. There is more than just the projector you're going to need. You'll need something to produce atmosphere so the beams can be seen, cables, and some sort of control system to run them. And... once you have one... you will want more!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    They are pretty commonly used and often aimed at a dance floor and probably about as safe as you can get. I'm not trying to discourage you from going with the RGB. It's simply if you're going to get it, keep the projectors and beams above the audience and not IN the audience. (Without a lot more learning, experience and safe practices.)

I would take a strong look at Lightspace and the Leo or, the LS-RGB-700.
    Okay thanks thats good news about the little Elite unit I may go with it after all. I've been looking at LED stuff now and noticed something called a Chauvet Swarm 5 fx. In the vid its pointed in a crowds 'would be' direction. It seems to be a combo of strobes, LEDs and small lasers - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Chauvet-...-/390913608214
    Is this one safe for my purpose?

Chauvet makes a lot of good stuff. They are all very popular with mobile DJ's and I see them used quite frequently. I own several products from Chauvet and they are all deemed safe. They may say in their instruction manual to not necessarily aim certain models at a crowd but, because the mobile DJ market is often not well versed in lasers and safety, they are still regarded as being safe. American DJ makes a few things as well and I think they would all be fine for your purposes. I would rather see you get something from Chauvet or American DJ over a no-name effect laser of Chinese origin since I don't know that the same can be said for all of those units. The Chauvet may cost a little bit more but, in the end, the quality and safety factor is worth it. Filters, burst gratings and low powers are all your friend. If you want a really nice "wow" laser, take a look at the Chauvet Scorpion Storm MG. Great little laser for about $150 US. http://www.chauvetlighting.com/scorpion-storm-mg.html I see they've been discontinued but a little searching and you should be able to find one.

I'm probably not the best expert on the subject, but so far I've been very happy with the Goldenstar laser I bought awhile back... They make the cases bigger now, something I'm dealing with while going from 20k scanners to the PT-40s... Try and get the 40k scanners if you can... Goldenstar does the SD card support quite well so ask for it, even if it doesn't come stock with the model you get. And with ILDA and DMX support, you have plenty of room and options to try out other things... A Goldenstar projector is a lot of laser for someone starting out for not a whole ton of money...

Thank you all for the helpful responses. I think i muddled up the 5mw 5w in my original post (also meaning i had it muddled up in my own mind, otherwise i most likely wouldn't have posed the question to begin with)

I do care a lot about safety and affecting others eye sight. I was so excited to get into laser projectors but am feeling happy still after seeing the range from Chauvet which should suffice for our groups minor-ish purpose (heck we would have needed strobes anyway). I will go with something from them, and perhaps in the future if the need arises (for the band we have) to expand then i'll revisit laser projectors but strictly keep it at an angle above peoples heads. I'd do a safety course too but dunno where in Japan, also im weak on the language a tad haha. Maybe when revisiting Australia.

Building them does sound fun too, though might be time consuming! I used to do those pcb soldering kits all the time and really loved it

Thanks guys

It's a fun and wild ride should you ever decide to hop on. Again, I wasn't trying to be offensive in my first post but, 5 watts is a TON of power and quite honestly more than many of the people here even have. That's bordering on outside shows versus inside shows (you need more power outside) and would be WAY too bright in a small room and especially ON an audience.

Chauvet is a perfectly acceptable start and can still set you on a slippery slope. My first laser was a little Chauvet Scorpion LG20 that was $65 off eBay - not even 5 years ago and I know since them... I'm easily in excess of $125,000.

What type of genre is your band?

Another thing to keep in mind is that real laser projectors do require your pretty much undivided attention. Frequently live, you are "playing" them, not unlike you play an instrument or a DJ plays his turntables. It would be challenging and perhaps foolhardy to try and do both. You'd need to probably add a lighting guy just to pay attention to the lasers (and other lights).