Thread: Recommendations for video editing software

Default Recommendations for video editing software

Any recommendations for a decent (and reasonably-priced!) Windows 8-compatible desktop video editing suite?
    Looking for something that would support rendering web-friendly projects (figure I might as well start sharing some laser and aerial quad videos on YouTube...)

Anything with "Adobe" as part of the name is probably going to be WAY more than I want to spend or learn!!!

Thanks -

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Have you had a play with Windows Movie Maker? (free download from MS)
    It can output to a lot of formats, and file sizes and can do a lot of splicing, wipes, effects, recolouring, etc.

Might be worth a look (seeing as its free) and then rule it out based on what i can't do.

I've produced a few time lapses recently with it, and its very straightforward.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Actually, I totally forgot about Windows Movie Maker -
    Used it many years ago on a Win XP install, but it's probably been at least 8 years since I've tackled any video editing projects!

Appreciate the reminder!!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I was going to recommend Windows Movie Maker, too. There is also Windows Expression Encoder 4. It is free and I use it for recording from the desktop but it also can edit video. It is a bit more complicated and not as intuitive, though.

I like the original Windows Movie Maker a little more than the current version. The new one has a weird timeline that sort of snakes down the screen instead of the typical left to right style.

A bit of trivia for you... I modeled the timeline in Spaghetti from the timeline in the original Windows Movie Maker. If they look similar, it is on purpose.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Used to use Sony's Vegas at Work. Loved it. Had it there when it was Vegas Video prior to Sony acquiring it. Used it for four years, taught others to use it, and it was easy to get proficient.

I'll second the suggestion on the Windows Movie Maker.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Windows Movie Maker it is -
    Thanks guys!

Randy
    RR

Sweet.....

Sony vegas.. but yeah its not free but splicing in that is easier and rendering and previewing videos is too.
    Originally it was intended as music software hence that ease it has for splicing but then it got turned into video editing software.
    Not as advanced as after effects but because of that an easier learning curve.

I use Sony Vegas as well; all the power you'll ever need, $100 (or it was when I bought it), much more intuitive interface IMHO than Premiere. Vegas has some filters available that may be useful for quadcopter video; used a few rolling shutter filters on mine and sometimes they help and sometimes they dont. Stabilization filters too, if you don't have a gimbal on your quad. :-)

I've used Pinnacle Studio for years and love it, currently using Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate. Current version on the market is 18, comes in different flavors at different price points, the least expensive is free trial with impressive but limited features, next to that is $60 for licensed copy. I've also used Windows Movie Maker and for free it does a good job.