Thread: Hey Marconi!

Default Hey Marconi!

I'm probably not going to do this, but theoretically do you think this can be done? He's offering me a 1 pc "sample" at the 5 piece price.
    Orange is my favorite color (besides 488nm aqua-turquoise)
    I was thinking battery operated only for clean DC source, a closed loop TEC that is set for 5 degrees C (AC to DC powered), and full shorted leads right out of the box, ESD mat with wrist-stap grounded full blown anti-static set-up to test the diode. Then, after that, if I sent this diode to you could you mount it and collimate it to your divine beam specs? (for a fee of course)
    All of this is theoretical-- (for now)

It's the 622nm diode. Comes in a C block.

Their C block info:
    http://www.rpmclasers.com/Catalog/Pkg_C-mount.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 622-627-632.pdf  

Last edited by steve-o; 05-23-2007 at 07:50. Reason: added info

Didn't you just say that these things are 900 bucks each? Seems like a lot to spend for orange... (Granted, it's a pretty orange, but still.)

Or are you just doing it for the novelty of having a unique color, like the 405 nm pointers that Spec and Marconi have?

Adam

Yeah,
    I might be interested in looking at it.
    Altho a nice color, I would really give this more thought.
    That diode needs to be cooled at 5c , thats cold. and unless
    sealed and nitrogen filled or a vacuum, it will condensate.
    The other diode up from there and still orangey runs at 10c thats a bit better but still has the same problem with divergence. Plan on spending at least 100USD for optics to get it reasonable. it still wont look like ours tho but close depending on how multimode it is.
    The other one at 632 will be easier to manage because of higher operating temp and slightly lower divergence which is strange cause the emmiter size is still the same.

Yeah, Ive been studying these for a long time. about 3years.
    And I still havnt the heart to spent 900 bucks to find they wont be any good for graphics , beam shows , YES.

As far as something handheld..It will be a battery eater but doable with D cells. And it would be something no-one else has.
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Thanks for the replies you-all. He's cutting me a "sample" price of 500 bucks for one of these instead of 900. It's still iffy for me.
    It'd have to be the 622 (yes novelty and I want to build a 473 or 487/622 projector- for no reason at all except I think it would be unique and cool) I was thinking about 2 large L-Acid battery cells at 1.2v ea. for the diode power and a small resistor to drop the 0.1 volt. What is "TE" polarization?

The cooling may be too much of an issue then? What about a fan or blower+filter to help with the condensation? And the Peltier(s) would have to be large powerful ones to achive that much cooling? I'm assuming so...

Thanx Again
    Steve