Thread: HeNe laser strobing?

Default HeNe laser strobing?

I was playing with one of my HeNe lasers and it's 12 volt supply started screaming like it had a shorted output but the tube light up just fine with a beam, i switched out the supply with another 12 volt model and ran for a few seconds are then started strobeing fairly fast, the laser is 5 mw and the power supply is well with in the power need but i tried a second ac powered supply that has a higher current and it did the same thing. the ballast resistor seems to test ok while it's not energized, it's a 75k ohm resistor. i rewired every thing and no change, that has me suspecting the ballast resistor. maby it's arcing over on the inside? I have not had a laser fail this way and it did work well and does not have a lot of time on it. I don't have any spare ones ballast resistors to sub out so before i order one i wanted to pass this by you guys
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Confirmed the ballast resistor is shorting out, one of the rare times i see a resistor failing like this
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu