Thread: Co2 laser galvo needs a protective window

Laser Warning Co2 laser galvo needs a protective window

Hello!!!

First! I don't know if here is the right place to post a question like this. If not pleas relocate this Thread!!!!! And Sorry!!!!

I have a 150W RF Co2 Galvo Marking System, the galvo head is Gsi Lumonics fitted with a F-Theta Lens 140x140mm marking field and 200mm focal distance
    and i what to use this system cu make a SLS/SLM 3D Printer.
    I made a project of the hole setup i bought almost all the component's.....
    If anyone is curios of my project you can see detail's here http://www.metalbot.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=125 and here http://www.metalbot.org/metalbot-wiki/index.php?title=Mecanicu
    Here is a YouTube video of a similar machine so you better understand what I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E5MfBAV_tA

Ok.... to go back to why I'm here!

As a start, I'm a novice when it comes to laser optics.

The hole process of selective laser sintering/melting of plastic/metals needs to take place in a gas tight chamber (oxygen free, av' can oxidase or worse explode) and filed with inert gas, like nitrogen or argon, so my problem is how to deliver the laser marking beam in the chamber. the answer is a ZnSe Window Lens or ZnSe Protective Window Lens (don't know if it's a difference, maybe someone from here can enlighten me). So i think!!!
    My question is what tip of ZnSe Window is better and what diameter, regarding the fact that this window will be mounted in the top plate of the chamber and after the F-Theta Lens (i have the possibility to place it at almost 5mm from the F-Theta) [laser ¬> galvo mirrors ¬> f-theta ¬> znse window ¬> marking zone].
    One more question: It will influence the laser beam, focal distance, marking field, spot size, etc.? Considering that will enter through ZnSe Window at different angles.
    More question to come!

Thanks in advance!!!!

... check, if you can use the f-theta lens as sealing ... then you don't need an additive window ...

Viktor

Hello Viktor!
    You are everywhere i'm mecanicu from metalbot!!!
    I don't want to use the F-theta as sealing for two reasons: First it is very hard for me to dismount the galvo system and reorganize it. the hole system (laser + galvo + electronic's are inside a box, you can see my pictures on the forum)
    Second a F-theta lens is much expensive that a ZnSe window lens (the environment is not so friendly for an expensive lens)

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicu View Post
    You are everywhere i'm mecanicu from metalbot!!!
    ... yes, the world is a really small place

And for your setup -- search a small ZnSe-window, only big enough to fit the output after the f-theta head ...

Viktor