Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new router needed - fml

Default new router needed - fml

So my router kicked the bucket. It is now stuck on default settings with non-working wireless. It is a D-Link DGL-4500.

Here's my requirements:
    .11n is a must. .11ac would be even better.
    Must be able to lie down flat OR stand on its end. I might be able to get away without it laying down flat.
    External antennas unless it has a strong signal. One of the devices has to receive the signal through ~6 walls.
    4 wired gigabit LAN ports and at least 1 WAN port for modem connectivity.

I've never had good luck with Linksys so I'd like to avoid that brand.

PS - If anybody knows of a non-standard way to flash firmware on something like this, let me know. I tried the usual way through a web browser. That didn't work. It would upload the FW and do a reboot. It still showed the same FW though. I might give that a try before buying a new one.

I've heard good things about the new(ish) Asus routers.
    Dual band and n compatible with strong enough signal to deal with our ancient British stone houses... a friend in London has one that gives good wi-fi in his house from its location in the hallway on the ground floor through 3 internal Victorian brick walls to his office in the attic on the 4th floor... while dealing with the neighbouring wi-fi networks and his massive Sonos mesh Wi-Fi...
    So far no problems in 5 months or so...

Just can't remember the model number at moment...
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

I have had positive results with Asus routers as well, they where the first ones i had luck with the bit torrent connections that kept resetting lesser routers
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Quote Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
    PS - If anybody knows of a non-standard way to flash firmware on something like this, let me know. I tried the usual way through a web browser. That didn't work. It would upload the FW and do a reboot. It still showed the same FW though. I might give that a try before buying a new one.
    Might want to try and telnet into it using putty or hyper terminal. You'd probably need to visit a forum to see the correct way for your mfg/model. For SOHO grade, the three brands I avoid are Netgear, D-link and Linksys. Pro grade for these brands is far different but also much more spendy. I have a Zyxel and love it....
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Do not get a Belkin.

Don't forget that wireless is a 2 way street. Think about the wireless adapter in your computer, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Don't forget that wireless is a 2 way street. Think about the wireless adapter in your computer, too.
    I'm not worried about them. My desktops are wired. The two biggest users of the wireless is my phone and laptop. My laptop doesn't get used much at home. My phone uses more only because I update apps and stuff at home so I don't waste the 2GB data plan. The device that is further away sends very little data.

I'm not worried about them. My desktops are wired. The two biggest users of the wireless is my phone and laptop. My laptop doesn't get used much at home. My phone uses more only because I update apps and stuff at home so I don't waste the 2GB data plan. The device that is further away sends very little data.
    My point is that having a router than can blast through concrete walls is useless if your phone or laptop aren't able to blast back through it.

I worked on networks for 4 years of my AF career and have been using my own wireless network for longer than that. I know how they work. It's not my phone and laptop I'm worried about though. There isn't anything I can do for the device in my garage such as install an external antenna or better wireless card. Like I said though, it sends very little data so output power isn't that big of a deal. It just needs to receive a strong input signal.

I worked on networks for 4 years of my AF career and have been using my own wireless network for longer than that. I know how they work. It's not my phone and laptop I'm worried about though. There isn't anything I can do for the device in my garage such as install an external antenna or better wireless card. Like I said though, it sends very little data so output power isn't that big of a deal. It just needs to receive a strong input signal.
    Good luck with it then.