Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pangolin Beyond vs LSX

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    As Swami says, none of the programs have an 'I win' button for content.
    there was one such program once on russian warez sites, it's long gone now though... http://gallery.kirril.com/images/0001/1381998969847.jpg

Hello! I can put forth my opinion as well. I'm not great at creating shows, but have meddled with the hobby for a bit. My history is Graphics Workstation from Laser illusions, Box Laser early beta, Norms Laser Show (early solder it yourself USB DAC), LSX then Beyond. I'm a hobbyist I suppose, but might start looking to take on some commercial work (but I'm a computer guy by day and not giving that up anytime soon.)

LSX is the winner at the price point, and LSX is the winner when it comes to ethernet connected DACs. It's fairly stable. Swami and CMB kill it when it comes to abstracts and art. It's a powerful tool. when it comes to cartoons or 3d, using blender or vector software and exporting and importing kind of makes for a slow workflow. I haven't tried the blender thing recently, when I tried doing DXF to ILDA using laserboy to scale it worked but wasn't elegant? CMB's tutorials help one figure out quite a bit, and the software is definitely capable of doing both show playback as well as live stuff. The live side of LSX just needs a bit more content. It can do audio response, not as easy as Beyond. There isn't a huge amount of content out there that I know of past the demos. There is definitely a number of things Beyond does better.

Beyond. The setup of the projectors from different zones when it comes to hot beams to full graphics is really good once you get the hang of it. There is two different places for setting this up which is a slight bit confusing to me but I get it. The internalish 3d modelling is slick as hell, and it's wonderful they brought this into the software versus relying on Autodesk 3d Studio Max. I've played with it but haven't gotten into it enough. I do know a friend and myself was converting objects and pulling them in and there it was. Very quick workflow and I'm excited to spend more time with it. It's also good for banging stuff live, and it has some pretty cool spectrum analyzers and it's easy to drop effects on them.

There is quite a bit of content through a portal for Beyond, quite a bit of it uses the stock frames (I'm not complaining, cause my ass hasn't contributed anything yet.)

Hmmm. I think my final conclusion is ... I think my recommendation is both? If you're on a budget get LSX. If you can afford Beyond then go Beyond and LSX.