Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying with projector question

Lightbulb

Hey Sire -

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    ...What are the tricks of the trade? Yes, I could put it in it's flight case and check it but, the projector alone weights 48.5 pounds so, with a flightcase, I'm probably at over 70 and looking at excess weight baggage fees - plus I don't know how that will go over in the puddle jumper flights on Air Sosa..
    OK, so.. a) I assume you've realized / checked w/ Delta on your-particular 'fare-rules'.. Most International flights to 'Centro 'merica' allow 70#s as the limit (as-opposed to 50# for domestic...) and I fly Delta almost exclusively, and find that they are usually good for 'up to 5#s over'.. *depending on* the person you get (unfortunately..) Some counter-peeps will be cool; Some are the '1#-over: Fee-applies, sir'-Nazis that are merciless, regardless, but.. I find they are often a bit more 'tolerant' on Int. flights, than Domestic.. Regardless, best to 'strip it of all non-essential' parts - ie: the 'Yoke' can be 4-5#, alone, on some models, IEC can also go in w/ yer clothes, etc, etc..

b) What's the 'flight case'? Have you actually weighed it, w/PJ-inside? If it's one of the 'Chi-cubes' on wheels, I'd recommend a Pelican 1620: http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1620 I am more than happy to loan ya one of ours (and I could probably 'dash' it LAX > EWR cheaper than ground.. and that's only about 24# w/ the full-load of Foam, so.. You might be able to get it to around 71-72# (especially if you can 'kill the yoke', etc..) And, the Pelican will be much-easier on the 'puddle-jumpers' to accomodate, than one of those 'cubes'..
    I'd also call 'Air Sosa' and ask what thier per-passenger limits, are.. You can't be the *only* gringo they've ever transpo'd w/ a 72# bag..

fwiw.. Lemme know if you wanna 'borrow' a 1620.. I would not need it back, right away, either, no worries.. I can just get it when I come for the Install..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

That could work. The projector is supposed to be 48.5 pounds - with the yoke. And yes, I planned to remove it and put it in the suitcase. The dimensions are approx. 14.5 x 10.5 x 10.5.

According to Delta - and my ticket class, the limit to the Caribbean is:

Up to 50 pounds is fine. 51-70 is $75 and, 71-100 pounds is $200. And no checked back can be over 100 pounds. So they key here is to be under 70 pounds.

I know that with it's existing flight case (yes a Chi-cube on wheels), it's supposed to be around 90 pounds. I was going to check and see if it fit in one of my smaller lighter weight flight cases without wheels since I've checked that case before to go to TexLEM and my total weight with (on that trip) my CT Lasers 3 watt was 49 pounds. A Pelican is certainly more durable though. I'll let you know.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    ...Pelican is certainly more durable though. I'll let you know.
    ..Not to mention the bulletproof wheels / retractable handle are worth their weight in gold.. Well, ya.. weigh it all up / lemme know, Chief.. Oh, and I could prolly make a quick call (I assume they have a customer svc line, etc..) to Air Sosa en Espaņol if ya wish and be sure you won't hit any snags on that leg.. I'd just need a Flight #, so they can look up the exact-routing / plane, etc..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...