Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with projector question

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Flying with projector question

I know that there are a couple threads where people have asked about flying with a projector and I know it's not a problem as far as a checked or carry on item, depending on size. Here is my specific question. I asked Delta via an online form and got a canned sort of answer. I may drive up to the Philly airport with the projector and just ask at a Delta counter. (Although I'm flying out of Baltimore.)

Carry on luggage - you are allowed one personal item and one carry on. The dimensions of the carry on must be less than 45 linear inches. That's fine... I'm at about 35 however, they also state it must fit in a 22 x 14 x 9 inch "box" and they have a sample box to check it there in the terminal. The projector I want to take (to CarribLEM) is 14.5" x 10.5" x 10.5" so, I'm an inch an a half over on one dimension. I know damn well I've seen people take bigger things on planes - including guitars.

What are the tricks of the trade? I don't want to put my car in long term parking, take a shuttle to the terminal, check in (all at like 4 am) and then get screwed that I can't take it on the plane.

Yes, I could put it in it's flight case and check it but, the projector alone weights 48.5 pounds so, with a flightcase, I'm probably at over 70 and looking at excess weight baggage fees - plus I don't know how that will go over in the puddle jumper flights on Air Sosa from San Sula to Utila.

The rest of the crap (splitter, ILDA cables, etc.) will all be in my suitcase. Apparently I have to carry my laptop as well since you can't put a laptop in your luggage. So, I'd have a laptop and the projector.

Thoughts??

Put it in a big Bojangles bag and you'll be good to go.

I've travelled with my 16" x 12" x 9.5" custom case numerous times to various LEMs. Here it is in one of those TSA bins, post-TSA:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser@TSA.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	46274
    (They sometimes ask to run it through again. Just remain confident like you're used to the process, for their sake.)

It was designed to barely fit in a carry-on suitcase with its extending handle removed to allow the case to fit inside. I also had to unzip the expanding section of the suitcase to make it fit.

When I designed a new case to travel with, I reduced the height to eight inches, to make sure it would fit in the overhead bins of some airplanes that couldn't quite accommodate a carry-on bag at its maximum size. (With the shorter height, it fits in normal, unmodified carry-on bags.)

That being said, I think that one dimension you mentioned is the most important one. My original case, pictured above, barely fit in most overhead bins and would sometimes have to be checked at the gate. Fortunately, this was usually in a climate-controlled area of the plane's cargo area.

I would consider checking it, just to be sure. Hope this helps.

- Jonathan
    Last edited by platinum; 02-07-2015 at 00:06. Reason: Added in a missing round bracket to one of the sentences.

also keep in mind that if you need to get on a puddle jumper then they take your luggage on the ground as the bins on those planes is small (think laptop bag only) so if your projector is not in a road case then it may get damaged

I think the 10.5" side is going to get me and I'm leaning towards just checking it. Once I find out how much the overweight fee is, I may have to make a decision about just heavily padding it in a cardboard box though. I've certainly had enough projectors mailed to me that way - from all over the world.

I was going to point out that the TSA usually opens cardboard boxes, but given that we're talking about an international flight, I would just assume that for anything. Something with a recloseable zipper or dependable latches might be a good idea, just in case.

I'm hoping this is arrangements for a trip to the UK ;-)
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

CarribLEM actually Andy but... it will be good info for the UK trip!

This year for a UK lem?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Not certain about one of the ones for this year - I'm shooting for spring 2016 now. Between CarribLEM, possibly FLEM and SELEM - I don't know how much more the owners are going to let me escape. I would have rather done UKLEM over CarribLEM but... there is probably only one chance at that left. I'm trying to get buffo to come too but, he keeps using this silly excuse about a wife or some such nonsense.