Thread: Commercial projector recommendations for home?

Question Commercial projector recommendations for home?

I've received a lot of great advice and help on my RGB projector build, but I've discovered I want something that's done and works so I can pursue the artistic side of the hobby while my projector projects are on the bench (especially since I'll have time over the holidays to play), and I'm hoping I can get some great advice on buying a commercial projector.

Bottom line up front: Are there products similar to the X-Laser skywriter chroma mini in performance and at its price point or below on the market worth considering?

Background:
    I want something that will be a easier than a homebuilt project to file paperwork for so that I can get my variance legalities in order, even though I don't plan on doing any public shows. So, I'm looking for US legal, varianced projector recommendations that would be good for small room use at home for designing shows and enjoying downloaded Pangolin content. I've got Beyond and LSX installed; I'm very interested in abstracts and graphics shows, and have medium interest in beam shows.

I'm aware of X-Laser's projectors and EZ-variance products. I had an excellent email exchange with Dan regarding their mobile beat max's target uses vs. my desires, and I really respect the guy for saying that the mobile beat max was probably not going to make me happy, nor would he expect anyone's projector at that price point to do so.

So I started sliding down the slippery slope of better units, and as far as I can tell it looks like the X-Laser skywriter chroma mini would be a good candidate, (although I did not discuss this unit particularly with Dan so I don't have his take). But, the chroma mini is a good chunk of change as well, so I have to ask, if I'm even thinking of spending that amount, what other options in that price range should I be evaluating before purchasing?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I am moving slowing from talking/reading to doing, honest!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

As far as I know, for what you are looking for, X-Laser is really going to be your best bet. Just do it.

Yes, you can buy decent less expensive projectors (i.e. Lightspace) but, from a legal, varianced standpoint and since they are basically within walking distance to you if something needs to be looked at or repaired, I think the decision is a no brainer.

Did you see Kvant's announcement yesterday on the expansion of the ClubMax systems? I've seen those 506 scanners in action and they produce some solid graphics. The 1800 is very reasonably priced and can be varianced. Of course X Laser makes the variance process so easy, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I think the decision is a no brainer.
    Brad, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by defend10 View Post
    The 1800 is very reasonably priced and can be varianced.
    The 1800 does look like a great box, and I might even prefer it to the chroma mini, but in my case, the question is what is the process to get it legally imported and varianced as I myself do not yet have a variance. Reading the various thread I've been able to find on the importing and variancing topics, it's a little like "which came first, the projector or the variance?" in terms of buying these things, and I'm not sure what the process is. And, for the import, there is another set of forms that I'm not familiar with, so that adds to the fear factor. If the process were clear, I might take it on, but all I can find are arguments about what has to be done, and that doesn't inspire confidence.

I'm curious on an update on this, as I am currently researching the Mobile Beat Max myself. what did you end up getting and how do you like it?
    Thanks!

Hey Jingles, I did end up getting the kvant clubmax 1800, and it's a nice compact box. I have been working with it on and off as time allows, and while I've taken a bunch of photos and run a bunch of tests I am still getting a handle on the box and what it can do. I don't want to review prematurely. I will say that out of the box it's blue heavy, but you can create a pretty reasonable balanced palette with the 10-point curves in Beyond, and in the air the beams look good for the extra power. Also out of the box it does 30K up to 15 degrees, nearly twice the standard 8 degree pattern size. More photos and discussion when I have more time to repeat and verify the measurements. I've been very happy with it so far. Do be careful; it's small but it's still putting out over 2W new and it's easy to accidentally perforate your backdrop. ;-)

Thanks for the info Tribble, appreciate it. I definitely look forward to your review and any video if you make any. Thanks!